brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Taking a break from social media can have an immensely positive effect on your life and provide you with time you never knew you had. By following these few simple steps, you will be totally ready to embark on your 30 Day No Social Media Challenge.

1. Tap into your “why power”. In order to reap the benefits of a social media cleanse, you need to go into the challenge with an open mind and excitement. Take a few minutes and journal about why you have the desire to take a break from social media and what you hope to gain from this experience. This way, you can refer back to the entry if you have the urge to quit or lose your motivation.
  2. Use the Delete button. If you want to get serious about a social media cleanse you need to get the apps off your phone. It is all too easy to forget about the challenge and open Instagram or snapchat out of habit, or in a moment of weakness (not to mention those pesky notifications). By deleting your social media apps, you will not easily be able to break your challenge. Re-downloading the apps later will only take a few minutes and this step will mark a clear beginning to your cleanse.
  3. Tell your friends. Be open and excited about your challenge. Most people think it is awesome to get off social media and will totally cheer you on. Plus, if anything, really “important” happens online, your friends will be sure to let you know so you can hear about the good stuff without wasting your time on the pictures of some cheerleader’s new crop top appreciation post.
  4. Reconnect with your interests. Trust me, when you get off social media you will notice a huge chunk of time opening up in your schedule. Identify what hobbies you want to spend more time on, or start a new one you have always wanted to try. This is a great time for reflection and an opportunity to discover something new about yourself.

Give yourself the chance to learn through your passions and hobbies, rather than through the emotions that spark within you by looking at snap shots of somebody else’s life. You may be surprised by what you find.

Nicole is an Environmental Studies and Economics double major at Salisbury University who is passionate about animal rights. She strongly believes in the benefits of a minimalistic plant-based lifestyle. She is on a journey to self love and minimalism and is excited to share her progress and advice along the way. Finally, she is dedicated to yoga and running as forms of stress relief and confidence boosting. All her passions and lifestyle choices come back to her deeply rooted love for animals. Nicole believes showing compassion truly manifests itself in beautiful and positive ways in life. She is prepared to share with you the means of achieving a more meaningful, compassionate, and joyful life with her articles.
Jeremie Davis

Salisbury '18

Jeremie Davis is an ambitious eighteen year old who has plans to change the world. While writing for her high school newspaper, she discovered her passion for writing, in which she contributed numerous works to the award winning newspaper. Jeremie also has a strong passion for Theater. She has been acting since she was ten years old. Jeremie is currently attending Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia, where she is majoring in Early Child Education with a minor in Theater and Journalism. Along with writing for Her Campus, Jeremie is apart of Tiger TV, a newly produced student-run news show, located on Morehouse College's campus. After two years Jeremie plans to go to Yale School of the Dramatic Arts where she will earn her Doctorate’s Degree in Fine Arts. In her spare time, Jeremie enjoys watching Netflix, belting out show-tunes, biking, and hanging with family and friends. Her ultimate goal in life is to become either a successful actress or a news correspondent in the entertainment world. She lives by the motto “If you work hard, you get to play hard.”