Why We Love The Duggars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.
On any Tuesday night, you can find me in my room, on my couch, with my eyes glued to the TV. Tuesday night is 19 Kids and Counting night on TLC, and I never miss a new episode. There’s just something so addicting about watching this bizarre family. I know I’m not the only one on campus who considers the Duggars their guilty pleasure. It seems like everyone is obsessed with them, and when new episodes are on, my room is packed full of girls who also can’t get enough. Almost every girl here at McCandless 4 South considers themselves a devout Duggar fan. Tuesday nights when new episodes premiere, we come together and bond over popcorn and a little TLC. But why are we so obsessed with the Duggars? 

1. Jim Bob’s quotes are absolutely inspirational.

They include “Sex is like Legos” and “I think they figured it out faster than we did, Michelle!” I’ll let you guess what “it” is.

2. John David is totally single and totally irresistible.

Some day, it could be one of us Belles swept up in a courtship with this hunk. I mean, ladies, c’mon, how can you resist this?

3. Michelle’s voice is so soothing.

After a long day, it’s nice to kick back and relax to the sweet sound of Michelle Duggar discussing why she wears skirts over her pants.

4. Jill and Derick’s first kiss taught us exactly what to do with boys at parties.

Always go for the super dramatic dip. Don’t worry about making people uncomfortable. Just do it.

5. Nothing is more adorable than the way Josie eats.

When she licked the pepperoni before sticking it on the homemade pizza? So appetizing.

6. Have you seen Ben Seewald’s biceps?

He could bench, like, 20 Jessas.

7. The fact that Jill and Derick Skyped, met in person, got married, and got pregnant all in one year is absolutely mind-boggling.

They met over Skype thanks to Jim Bob, and then Jill traveled all the way to Nepal just to meet him in person. This started their side-hugged filled courtship, and then a hand-holding engagement, and now all of a sudden they have a son named Israel. What?!

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's