The Truth About College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

I’ve stared at a blank page for a while now. There are so many things I want to tell you. I want to tell you that these will be the best four years of your life. That you’ll find a new home. You’ll discover a new self. You’ll meet new friends, some of your best friends. And you’ll find a passion for whatever you choose to study. But there is another thing I want to tell you. I want to tell you there’s no guarantee it’ll be easy. 

For some, it will be easy to fall in love with Saint Mary’s and with college life in general. For others, like myself, it won’t be easy. My classes weren’t easy. Finding my place wasn’t easy. And along with that I want to tell you that it’s okay to cry, and it’s okay to feel overwhelmed. It’s okay to call home, because believe me, you’re missed. If you haven’t fallen in love after a week, a month, a semester, or even a year, it’s okay.

But remember, just because it’s not easy, doesn’t mean it won’t be worth it. I promise you’ll get the hang of it, and one day when you’re away from campus, you’ll want nothing more than to be back. As a rising senior, college still isn’t easy. There are days when I want nothing more than to go home. There are times when I make my way to the grotto twice a day because it’s the only place that truly brings me peace. But like I said, it’ll be worth it.

I can’t imagine my college career without the movie nights spent in the third floor typing lounge of McCandless. Or the night runs with my roommate that usually end with us laying in front of Le Mans discussing our most recent life crisis. My life would be totally different had I not traveled abroad for a semester. I can’t imagine college without the nights spent in La Fun “doing homework” and enjoying some acoustic café. And although at the time you pray you never experience that late of a night in Trumper again, you know you’ll be back in a few nights, but you’ll have some of the greatest memories with your friends finishing that group project.

It wasn’t easy getting to where I am today, but don’t let that scare you. Because then again, what’s the fun in easy? Welcome class of 2021. Let the countdown begin.

Allie Royce

Saint Mary's '18

Hope you find my work relatable and humorous.