Tag! You’re It: Tag Week At Saint Mary’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

This past week Saint Mary’s celebrated Tag Week. What is Tag Week you ask? Well, let me tell you a little bit about how Saint Mary’s is a college that is supported by so many generous people who care about the success of Saint Mary’s young women.

While walking around campus, students saw colorful tags posted on items informing them of the cost of buildings, utilities, and other items that we may not think about on a daily basis. The Student Center alone cost $16.5 million to build in 2005. (What?!) None of these expenses would be covered if not for the generous alumnae, parents, and friends who donate money to our beautiful school. Even though they have other amentities in their lives to support, they always make Saint Mary’s a priority.  

It is the people like that whom we are truly thankful for. I mean, think about it…where would we all be without that two o’clock caffeine fix from Cyber? Or how could we possibly keep calm and call mom without that bench to sit on at the island? We all too often take for granted the little things that Saint Mary’s has to offer, without realizing where they come from.

Last week, students were able to write their own tags and put them on their backpacks saying what they were thankful for.  Some people wrote how they were thankful for their jobs, while others wrote about being thankful for the chance to study abroad. I know I am certainly thankful for the money that is donated to the abroad programs because next semester I will be studying in Ireland! I know right? Ireland. I still cannot wrap my mind around it. It seems surreal that we have such incredible opportunities placed in front of us that we take for granted. Half of the things we are able to do at this school would not be possible without the donations from such wonderful people. Last year alone, donors brought in about $10.2 million that helped fund all aspects of a Saint Mary’s education.

So thank you donors for that snazzy vacuum cleaner, those pretty little dining hall trays, and everything else you have helped our school to gain. We owe it all to you!

Photos provided by author