This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Cancer. It’s a trigger word. Makes you feel something. The sweat balling in your palms. Your heart rate fighting against itself. The knot in your throat that doesn’t let you speak, but it makes you stop, and think, and feel. It’s a trigger word. It makes you think of someone. Your aunt. Your cousin. Your fourth grade teacher. Your neighbor.  Your classmate. Maybe they’re fighting, maybe they’re winning, maybe they’ve already lost but still fight anyways. It’s a trigger word. It makes you remember the time. When you got the phone call. When you tried to put yourself in their shoes. When you visited, and sat, and talked, and cried. It’s a trigger word. It makes you want to do something, change something, fix something. It’s a trigger word. Everyone knows someone who knows someone who knows someone.

I remember in a high school religion class having to write down every person I knew who had battled or was battling cancer. I will never forget it. Every single person had a name on their list. All twenty five students in my class knew someone, or a few someones, who have fought cancer. My list had over thirty. And that’s why I stand. For Aunt Alison, Aunt Roey, Tom LoConte, Mrs. Gannon, Mrs. Bradley, Kathleen Claire, and the countless others who can’t stand for themselves anymore. I stand for Aunt Lopey, Mr. Krueger, Mrs. Conaty and all the warriors who beat the odds. I stand today so that future generations don’t have to worry about standing up at all.

This Saturday, February 27th, the SMC Stands up to Cancer Club is teaming up with the Kelly Cares Foundation to host a zumbathon fundraiser in the fight against cancer. I sincerely hope you’ll join me for a night of dancing to honor those who have lost their battle, celebrate those who are still fighting, and raise funds to find a cure so no one else will have to enter the fight.

What: Pink Party Zumbathon

Who: SMC Stands up to Cancer Club, the Kelly Cares Foundation, and you!

Where: Angela Athletic Facility, SMC

When: Saturday, February 27th 5-8pm

Cost: $5 for students, $15 for community members- tickets @ the door!

Claire Condon

Saint Mary's

I think in Instagram captions.
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's