S’mores Cookie Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Now that it’s cold outside, I really have no energy to go out. I know that sounds sad, but it’s true! Rather than wear a dress and freeze, I’d rather stay in and bake warm, fresh cookies! Benefits of staying in and baking include not having to shave your legs, getting a good night’s sleep, no hangover, and of course, delicious cookies!

I really love this s’mores cookie recipe. It’s an easy way to take ordinary chocolate chip cookies to the next level! Feel free to use a chocolate chip cookie mix and add the marshmallows and graham crackers, or go with this recipe! As my favorite YouTuber/baker, Rosanna Pansino, would say, now let’s put it all together!

You will need:

• 4-5 graham crackers
  • 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
  • Mini marshmallows (about 3 per cookie)
  • 1 bag of chocolate chips
  • 3/4 stick of butter
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg and 1 egg yolk 
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

First, preheat your oven to 325. Now, crush up your graham crackers! I recommend putting them in a plastic bag and banging them with a spoon. I like to get a mixture of a really fine, almost dust like texture and some bigger chunks.

Mix together your dry ingredients (flour, salt, graham crackers and baking soda) in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar– this can be a little easier with a Kitchen Aid or hand mixer, but doing it by hand is a great workout! After your butter and sugars are well-combined, add your egg and egg yolk, vanilla extract and maple syrup– yes, maple syrup! i always think its adds a nice flavor and sweetness to cookies! Obviously, if you don’t have it, you can skip it, but it really takes the cookies to the next level. Combine your wet and dry ingredients, fold in the chocolate chips, and bam, cookie dough! Its not safe to eat, but you’ll probably eat some, anyway. Note that we still haven’t used the marshmallows- this comes after they bake!

This is optional, but I highly recommend chilling your dough for an hour or two! It will really help stop the cookies from spreading thin in the oven.

When you are ready to form cookies, spray a baking sheet and line with parchment paper. I find parchment paper is the best way to prevent burnt or stuck-to-the-tray bottoms. Roll the cookie into cookie-sized balls- I recommend making them slightly tall, like little hills. This will also prevent spreading. 

These cookies bake in the 325 degree oven for about 12-13 minutes. If you’re using the ovens in HoCro or LeMans, it may take longer, because those ovens are from the 70’s. 

While your cookies are in the ove, I recommend placing some mini marshmallows in a bowl. As SOON as these cookies come out of the oven, I mean like right away, cause they have to be pretty hot for this to work, start pressing mini marshmallows into the tops of the cookies. Its okay if they stick up a little, as they will deflate as they get hot. I typically do about 3 per cookie, but do as many as you like.

After the cookies have cooled, the marshmallows should be firm, but not stale, burnt or sticky. And there you have it! Easy s’mores cookies that will impress your friends and your tastebuds!

Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.