On Saint Mary’s: Through the Eyes of a Second-Semester Transfer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Almost three months ago, I drove down The Avenue, my parent’s car filled to the brim with boxes and bags filled with the clothes and furniture that used to decorate my triple on the fifth floor of McCandless. As we took a left turn towards I-80 and home, I knew second semester was over and summer was beginning. Leaving Saint Mary’s for the summer filled me with an incredibly bittersweet feeling; I was looking forward to a few months of relaxation without hundreds of anatomy terms to memorize or long essays to slave over (and also being able to binge watch Netflix without feeling guilty about not being in the library). I also couldn’t lie to myself because I knew I would dearly miss everyone and everything about Saint Mary’s after a few short days. This was especially hard for me since the Spring 2015 semester was my first semester at Saint Mary’s. For most of my friends and the Class of 2018, they spent their entire freshman year calling themselves “smicks.”

I transferred to Saint Mary’s College second semester after spending my first semester at a university in New York City. I could outline the reasons why I felt the need to transfer, but I would much rather to explain all of the wonderful things I learned during my first semester at Smary’s and give a little insight on how it feels to be a transfer student. However, I will say one thing: I knew that Saint Mary’s would feel like home the moment I arrived on campus, which is the main reason why I decided to transfer spring semester and not wait for the fall of my sophomore year.

One of the greatest things about being a transfer student is being able to to readily see the many aspects of Saint Mary’s that make the school so different and unique in comparison to other colleges and universities around the country. Spending a semester at another school makes being part of this loving community so much more meaningful. At Saint Mary’s, you’re part of a family that consists of girls who want to laugh, learn, grow and succeed just as much as you do. You constantly have someone who cares for you, even if they haven’t been formally introduced to you. Little things such as a smile shared between two people on the way from Madeleva to Spes or a short, friendly conversation shared between girls of different years when waiting in line for food in Noble Family make Saint Mary’s so inclusive and loving. There is a sense of comfortableness that radiates around campus; it’s almost impossible to not notice it.

I truly thought that transferring as a second semester freshman would be exceedingly difficult. Since Saint Mary’s is such a small school, I assumed everyone would know each other and already have a set group of friends. I was completely, absolutely, 100 percent incorrect. Thanks to my long term best friend from grammar school, I was introduced to a wonderful group of girls who included me instantly. They helped me get settled in, explained things I needed to know about anything and everything, and soon, they treated me like I had been their friend all year long not only for second semester. Additionally, I met people in my classes, around campus, and in other activities I participated in. I was so incorporated and surrounded by friends, it honestly felt like I had never transferred. In one semester, I truly understood why so many smicks boast about finding their “sisters” at Saint Mary’s. It’s so hard not to, there is always someone wanting to be your friend or to get to know you.

Saint Mary’s has the ability to fill your heart with so much love, you often times worry it might burst. Once you’re part of the family, you cannot imagine going to school anywhere else. I am so thankful that I can call Saint Mary’s my home. I have learned so many things in my one semester at Saint Mary’s, but I would have to say, the most important takeaway is to cherish every moment of every day you have at SMC; it is a place like no other.

Photo 1, Photo 2

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Pinterest!

Interested in writing for or being apart of HCSMC?

E-mail hannahdrinkall@hercampus.com or thereseburke@hercampus.com for inquiries!

Cecelia is a sophomore Biology major at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, IN. Cookies and Cream ice cream is her weakness and being a nerd is her strength. She's a tad bit clumsy, but don't worry, you can laugh about it, she'll laugh with you. When she is not in the library and cracking terrible jokes, you can either find her eating strawberry yogurt with a copious amount of granola in the dining hall or questioning why she is running on the treadmill instead of watching Scandal or Gilmore Girls in her bed.
Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!