Remember The Avenue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

It seems like lately, more than ever, I’ve been dealing with the stress of college on a whole new level. With a cup of coffee or Diet Coke always in hand, my sleepless nights seem to be taking their toll. I’ve taken more trips to The Grotto this semester than any other, and I’ve spent more nights awake with God than ever before. When it seems like I just can’t write another paper or keep up with class readings, I try to think back to my 17 year old self, and the day she stepped foot on campus.It was a gloomy, rainy October day. The kind of day where campus feels a little extra mysterious, but obviously doesn’t invade the beauty we all know so well. When they told me I would be sitting in on an Intro to Communication class, the nerves kicked in. Why were they making me sit in on a college class? Talk about intimidating.

This was the first time, but nowhere near to the last, Saint Mary’s pushed me outside of my comfort zone. Well, let me tell you, Saint Mary’s knows what they’re doing. An hour and 15 minutes later I walked out of that class knowing this is where I would call home for the next four years.

So unlike many, it wasn’t The Avenue that made my decision, and it wasn’t the tradition that our college is so strongly built on either. It was the passion. I love Saint Mary’s because of the passion I see among faculty as well as my fellow Belles, both inside and outside of the classroom. After experiencing Saint Mary’s for three years now, I have grown to love Saint Mary’s for so much more.

I love Saint Mary’s for the opportunities I have been given. When I was looking at colleges back in high school, the one and only thing on my list was a strong study abroad program. Two years later I would find myself spending a semester in Ireland. I love Saint Mary’s because I have been able to continue to foster my faith in so many ways. I love Saint Mary’s because of the tight knit community. Honestly, how many colleges can say their president had a sleepover in the dorms? Had Saint Mary’s not forced me outside of my comfort zone when I was 17 years old, I wouldn’t have had the experiences I’ve had at 21.

I came to Saint Mary’s, knowing it wouldn’t be easy and knowing that sacrifices would be made in order for me to attend. To me, a Saint Mary’s education is priceless. I’ve learned more about myself than I could have ever imagined in just three years. A Saint Mary’s education is no easy feat, but sleepless nights spent in Trumper basement with friends are ones I’ll never forget, especially when we feast over Papa Johns at 2am.

So when you feel like you just can’t write another paper, or study for yet another test, remember what brought you down The Avenue, and more importantly, what made you stay.

Allie Royce

Saint Mary's '18

Hope you find my work relatable and humorous.
Claire Condon

Saint Mary's

I think in Instagram captions.