Professors Deserve Our Praise, Too!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

One of the greatest indicators of academic achievement in college is to be honored as valedictorian.  This title, as well as other similar awards, demonstrates that a graduate has worked hard during every second of his or her time there.  It is bestowed upon a young man or woman who has flourished in his or her endeavors.  It denotes that a student has not just met, but has triumphantly set the bar for the future. 

Nonetheless, we often forget that while we as students toil in attempt to succeed, our professors loyally mirror our efforts with their own hard work.  At the close of this past academic year, Saint Mary’s College paid tribute to two such professors.  Professor Julie Storme of modern languages and Professor Phyllis Kaminski of religious studies were awarded for the many years that they have given to our beloved school. 

As a professor at Saint Mary’s for 28 years, Dr. Storme has had some time to make an impact on the activities here, and she has definitely made the most of it.  On top of enhancing the French Studies major, she played an instrumental part in establishing the Intercultural Studies program.  She even postponed a sabbatical to help develop the global and intercultural “learning outcomes” that now compose the gen-ed Sophia Program.  To thank Professor Storme for furthering these valuable programs and more, Saint Mary’s awarded her with the Spes Unica Award, which is meant to recognize a faculty member’s benefit to the college in teaching, scholarship, creative activity, and service.

At the Honors Convocation during Commencement week, religious studies Professor Phyllis Kaminski was given the Maria Pieta Award.  The recipient of the award is kept a secret until the event, but it wasn’t the only surprise that Dr. Kaminski received that night.  She was also unaware, until the ceremony, that many dedicated members of her family from around the country had traveled to South Bend to praise her for her success and service.  Her young niece presented her with the award, which applauds exemplary teaching in courses for first-years and sophomores.  For the many students who have taken Professor Kaminski’s Intro to Religious Studies course, the honor makes perfect sense. 

Amidst our focus on our own academics, we can sometimes be blind to the extraordinary contributions that our professors make to our education.  Professors Storme and Kaminski are perfect examples of two women who have poured energy into the education of Saint Mary’s girls.  So, as we praise deserving students for their success, we should also thank Saint Mary’s College for recognizing remarkable professors, and join our school in applauding them.  

Michelle Casado

Saint Mary's

Sophomore at Saint Mary's College. "A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous." - Coco Chanel
Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!