The Perks Of Attending An All-Girl’s School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Attending an all women’s college isn’t for everyone, but that is what makes it so special. From raiding each other’s closets to staying up at all hours of the night and spilling our hearts out, the girls you meet become more than your best friends; they become your lifelong sisters.

Many of my friends joked that SMC would be just one giant pillow fight and while there is the occasional tussle, there’s so much more than that. Here are some of the best perks of going to an all women’s college:

1. One Giant Wardrobe

Move over endless breadsticks at Olive Garden, going to an all girl’s school gives you endless closets. Surrounded by hundreds of girls of all different shapes, sizes and styles, you’re guaranteed to always find something to wear. On the rare occasion that you come up empty handed, don’t worry, you’ll have a slew of personal shoppers at your service.

2. Sleepovers

You know what’s almost as good as curling up in bed after a long day? Pushing tons of twin beds together and snuggling with your favorite ladies. Whether you pass out right away or stay up chatting, sleepovers are the best way to wind down after a long day.

3. It’s 5 o’clock Somewhere

Speaking of winding down…From a glass of wine during the weeknights to Feve on Thursdays and house party after house party on the weekend, your girls are always at your side. And we’lll be there when you wake up the next morning when your hair looks like a bird’s nest and your breath reeks of Taco Bell. 

4. They’re Always There to Listen

At any hour of the day or night, you can knock on a door and instantly have a personal therapist at your service. We love to listen and give you our best and honest advice. If you hate that jerk across thestreet, more than likely, we will too. When you have a team of therapists you also get a team of personal bodyguards.

5. No food shaming

You’re getting more pizza? Oh, thank God, I’m on my fourth slice….Having a cafeteria filled with only ladies is one of God’s finest creations. There is no judging over filled trays and stacks of plates. If you feel like eating three quesadillas and an ice cream cone, we’ll be there right with you…ballooned stomachs and all. 

5. Honesty
Because we love you, we know it’s important to be honest while wholeheartedly supporting you. Whether it’s that boy who isn’t treating you right or that upcoming test you need to buckle down for, we’ll always be there to steer you in the right direction.

Most of all, the girls you meet are much more than just girls. They are strong, independent and loyal women who will always be there for you. So, when you find that long lost sister, keep her close because one day, she’ll be the one at your side when you wish the entire world was just that little all girl’s school you attended years ago.

Colleen Maus

Saint Mary's

Saint Mary's College class of 2017 | Elementary Education Major and English Writing Minor | Florida Born | Irish Proud
Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!