The Parka: Polar Vortex Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

“-15 degrees. Windchill of -45. I’m sorry…what?! Is this actually a thing?”

These were the thoughts running through my head as I looked the weather up on my handy dandy iPhone. Sitting on the beach, it was hard to believe that a 2-hour plane ride stood between me and the polar vortex. “The polar what? Vortex? Am I in Antarctica or something? I’m so confused.”

Honestly, when I heard of this freak phenomeon going on in the land of the Midwest, there was only one thing I could think of…

My parka. Thank God for my parka. 

You know the saying, “moms are always right?” The saying we all ignore, roll our eyes at, and pretend we didn’t hear? Well…it’s true.

My mom was right about my parka. She told me I needed it and that I would (dramatically) “die” without it. I laughed and attempted to refuse the purchasing of such a horrid item.

Well, let me tell you, I have never been more thankful for being forced into buying any item ever in my life. Like ever.

My parka is a North Face original…but with a tundra twist, as I like to describe it. My friends are always commenting, “wow, what an intense jacket!” and “geesh…your parka is like, really legit.” Yep, I know, and yep, I am so grateful for such an underestimated item. I never thought that I would end up wearing the parka, to be honest. I thought I was just buying it to make my mom happy and that, coming from Florida and being nieve to Midwest tendencies, that no one would wear them.

However, everyone wears one and when a polar vortex is upon us, it isn’t even weird to wear a parka on a Friday night! (Like actually…I bring it everywhere, I do not even care). 

The reasons as to why a parka are is essential in a “Polar Vortex” (seriously, what even is that?!) are never-ending, but I’ve narrowed it down to the top three:

1) It is the epitome of a lifesaver. Without it, I’m pretty sure I would have frozen. Actually, I know I would have frozen. Also, when all your friends are wearing them, it looks kinda cute! (Right…)

2) With snow pelting into your face, up around your shoes, and all over your body in general, your parka seems to ward it off. You don’t feel a thing and you are so wrapped up in this protective force, that you don’t even notice it snowing! (K maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but you get what I’m saying).

3) Amanda Seyfried has one. So…do it. 

Photos provided by the author

Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!