An Official Guide to the South Bend Bar Scene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

As the semester’s end draws near, our weekends of sweaty dorm parties, kegs and eggs, and football tailgates are also, sadly, coming to a close. With the autumn fading in the lake-effect snow of an impending South Bend winter, it’s time to look to the future of our Friday night schedules.  So to fill our time during the snowy winter weekends I’ve drawn up the official guide to the ND bar scene, all you need to know about the wonderful world of drink specials, townie bouncers, and Feve.  Yes, I said it.  Feve.

O’Rourkes:

Fun fact, this is the first bar I had ever gotten in to in South Bend, and I can give you one reason why it keeps me coming back.  Clover Quarts.  Half-priced Clover Quarts.  Every Wednesday we’d grab our clutches and Iphones, head over to Eddy Street, and Instagram our round of cloves upon entrance.  What is a clove? Not too sure, but it’s good, big, and has gummy bears so that’s all you really need to know, right?  Add in the bonus of karaoke nights and loaded cheese fries and you’ve got a night with your smicks to remember, because honestly we “can resist anything but temptation.”

CJs:

Also known for post-football game Saturday nights, long island pitchers, and THE POPCORN MACHINE.  People, its unlimited popcorn, why are we still sitting here?  Plus the CJ’s dance floor is notorious for countless @ndmakeouts and Taylor Swift songs so what more could you ask for?

FEVER:

Oh Club Fever, where would we be without you?  Three floors of complete anarchy every Thursday night and we just can’t help but keep coming back for more.  Feve is the resting place for our Thursday night memories, countless bad decisions, and hundreds of fake IDs taken by the bald guy (say a silent thank you for the existence of the side door).  Basically most of my conversations with people on Thursdays consist of “are you going to Feve?” and “are you going to Feve?”  So cheers to Club Fever and the smicks that struggle through Friday classes because of it.  We salute you.

Corbys:

The quintessential senior hangout.  Tough to get in but so worth the wait.  Corbys is like a Notre Dame dive bar where everyone’s a regular and you know everybody that walks through the door.  Plus it has a photo booth, so that’s just awesome.  So if you’re looking for a chill night with all your friends, maybe shooting some pool, or dancing on the bar (seen this happen with my own eyes), then Corbys is the place to go.

Finnys:

It’s like the Feve of the senior class.  Or, to take it even further, it’s the sweaty freshman dorm party of the above 21 crowd.  Proceed with caution.

Oyster Bar:

Is this still a thing?  Every year I hear the myth of Oyster bar, the obligatory three form of ID entrance, and how it’s dead.  Plus multiple tweets accompanied with #OYSTERREVIVAL2013.  I’m still not convinced it exists though.

And there it is, your collegiate guide to the South Bend bar scene.  So grab your IDs, swipe a couple dollars for cover, and enjoy your time at some of ND’s finer establishments.  All Belles welcome (ahem, of-age Belles that is).

MJ is a Senior, English literature and writing major at SMC.  Along with being an avid hash brown enthusiast and believing that she is, in fact, Rapunzel from Tangled, MJ spends her time reading really big books and wearing her "We Don't Even Go Here" hat to Notre Dame tailgates.  After being in Rome for a semester, MJ hopes to return to her city and eat a lot of Dar Poeta pizza, because what more could you ask of life?