Noble Family Dining Hall Tips & Tricks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

We all know that sometimes the dining hall can be a doozy. Do you really want the same sandwich you had for lunch, or the same plate of lettuce you pair with every meal? If you’re extremely picky like me, sometimes it’s hard to switch it up! Maybe you’ve already discovered these yourself, but here are just a few hacks to creatively spice up your meals and add some variety.

1. Breakfast sandwich

Good on days you’re headed for Sunday brunch with your girls, or just grabbing something to eat before your first class during the week. See what’s being offered at the Bistro station (ex. Eggs, bacon, sausage). Get a plate of what you like and put it on a plain bagel! Add cheese from the salad station and stick it in the microwave if you’re really feelin’ it.

2. Chicken and cheese quesadilla

This is a very simple meal that can be made in minutes! Ask for a piece of grilled chicken from the hamburger station. Slice it up on a plate, and get a bowl of cheese from the salad station. Take it to the Deli station and ask them to put it on on tortilla and toast it for you!

3. Lemon chicken

A pretty easy and self-explanatory suggestion, but still a game-changer! Ask for a piece of grilled chicken from the hamburger station, and grab a slice of lemon from the cream cheese & butter station. Voila!

4. Buffalo chicken dip

If you’re really looking to out-Pinterest your friends… Grab a small bowl at the hummus station and fill it with cream cheese. Add a little bit of ranch from the salad station, along with however much hot sauce you like, also by the salad station. While you’re still at the salad station, grab a little shredded cheese to add on top. Stop by the Grille for some grilled chicken. Slice that up and put it in there! Stick the bowl in the microwave for about 45 seconds.

5. Cheese fries

Simply get a bowl of fries from the Grille, and top it with cheese from the salad station. Throw it in the microwave for a few seconds to let the cheese melt. You can even add chili if it’s offered that day for chili cheese fries!

6. Pizza bagel

This is a super easy meal that never seems to disappoint. Take a plain bagel and head to the Gifts from the Garden for some marinara sauce. Top it with cheese from the salad station. I wouldn’t suggest putting these in our new toasters…but the microwave is an adequate alternative!

7. Chipotle bowl

“Can I have a burrito bowl for here please?” Good on literally any day rice is offered at any station. Get a piece or two of grilled chicken from the Grille, and head to the salad station. Add whatever you like, beans, corn, cheese, lettuce, etc. Salsa and sour cream can be added by the toasters!

8. Rootbeer float

A personal favorite of mine… Simply get a cup by the pop dispenser and stick it under the soft serve machine. Fill it up about halfway with vanilla soft serve and then fill the rest of the cup up with rootbeer of course!

This article was to hopefully provide you with some variety on the days your usual soup and salad is not sufficient. There are SO many more creative combos out there! Dip your fries in vanilla soft serve. Get a plate of olive oil for your breadstick. Put some peanut butter on a banana or apple. Again, these are just to name a few, but hopefully this can inspire you all to discover your own creations!

Carly O'Loughlin

Saint Mary's '21

Dayton, Ohio native (Go Flyers!) and a double major in Secondary Education and English Lit!
Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.