Making the Most of a Staycation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

I can’t be the only one who’s faced social media with a sinking heart lately, seeing posts about packing for Disney and beach-front stays on the ocean. It seems like everyone is breaking out the swimsuits and sunscreens, while the most I’m hoping for is a day above fifty back home in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I have always dreamed of spending my spring break in a tropical (or the very least, sunny) destination. I picture spending my days laying on a beach, soaking in the sun, and maybe even swimming with a dolphin or two. For some reason, I imagined that this dream would finally come true this year, my senior year, the perfect culmination of four years spent waiting patiently.

Unfortunately, I forgot that most dreams require putting in some hard work for them to come true. In this case, I forgot to put in the work (i.e. saving up months in advance). As a result, I recognize I only have myself to blame for the fact that my romantic notions of spring break will stay just that: whims without a realistic end.

However, I refuse to let this fact ruin my break. After all, it’s still a week off school. It’s still my senior year. It’s still a reason to celebrate and enjoy mysel

A week at home is made a little brighter by the fact that my roommate, also from Grand Rapids, is stuck home for break, as well. Together, we decided to make the most of it. How exactly do make the most of a staycation? The same way you do a vacation—by making a plan.

I’m sure most would agree that an essential part of any spring break trip is planning. This doesn’t just mean booking plane tickets and finding a place to stay. Planning for spring break involves activity-oriented scheduling and sometimes even a daily itinerary. Even if you want to spend majority of your days on the beach, you plan what beaches you want to go to, which restaurants to eat at, when to take trips into town, etc.

Why not apply the same thinking to your spring break at home?

In order to fight off the blues that come with hearing things like “all-inclusive resort” and “high of 78” in casual conversation, my roommate and I started to make plans of our own. I’m not just talking about chatting over some different things we could, I mean breaking out our planners and penciling in daily activities.

And you know what? It actually worked.

With each trip and activity we scheduled out, I found myself getting more and more excited for break. The more we planned, the less I thought about what I was missing out on. Instead, I saw all that I had to look forward to. Maybe I don’t have swimming with dolphins or drinking pool-side piña coladas on my calendar, but I’m still spending my days doing things that I enjoy—like finally fitting some well-deserved naps in and going to local cafés and breweries!

Now, I find myself counting down the days to break alongside everyone else. It may not be my dream SB, but rain or shine, I’m making the best of my staycation.

Allie Royce

Saint Mary's '18

Hope you find my work relatable and humorous.