If I Could Do It Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

My roommate Lauren asked a few of us a question the other night that had me thinking a lot about our first year.

“If you could do it all over again, would you be a freshman again?”

I thought about it for 1.5 seconds and ultimately answered, “No”.

I loved freshman year. It was a year of so many unknowns. “Where is La Fun?” “Who is CJ” “Why do people come late to the first quarter?” We tested the waters and tried so many things. We were really pushed outside of our comfort zones and had to jump outside the box. We’ve grown up (some of us) and learned a lot since then.

Flash forward three years. Here we are. Seniors. I don’t know about some of you, but in my household this summer, I forbid family members to say the “S” word (senior). They thought I was crazy.

It’s unbelievable to think we are on our fourth and final lap. Ironically, I feel as though senior year has brought upon as many unknowns, if not more, than freshman year. A nauseating thought at first, but I think we should embrace it.

I have absolutely no idea what I want to do, what career path I want to choose, where I want to live, who I want to date (George Clooney is married)…the list goes on. I don’t even know what I’m going to make for dinner tonight or what I will wear tomorrow. The unknown is terrifying. But if you sit back and take a minute, it’s also completely refreshing and exciting.

Years from now, we could be married with kids and have a 9-5 job, having to plan out dinners, carpools, vacations, etc. There won’t be much room for not having a plan. So embrace not having one now. You don’t have to know every detail or make this grand plan. Things will pan out how they are supposed to. We are at a time in our lives where not having a plan is not only ok, it’s invigorating.

So get your work done but don’t miss out on a night with your best friends. Apply to jobs you never thought you’d see yourself at. Push yourself but give yourself a break. Have that one more beer and get the pizza on the way home. Never turn down an opportunity to go outside your comfort zone. Be good to your friends as they’ve put up with you for the past three years. Be unwell for a few days in a row. Stay for last call. Party up.

God only knows where we’ll be a year from now. We have worked hard to get here and should enjoy it. Don’t listen to anyone who says you have to have it figured out today. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and if the next adventure is anything like this one has been, just have the mindset that it’s going to be amazing.

So, to answer Lauren’s question; No, I would not want to be a freshman again. And I don’t want to look back on senior year and wish I could do it again. I want to do it right the first time around and enjoy the hell out of it. Cheers.  

My name is Lizzie Cusick, I'm a senior at Saint Mary's and am a Business major. I studied abroad in Rome sophomore year and want to go back every day. I love to read and write and am so excited to be writing for Her Campus and hope you all enjoy what I have to say!
Claire Condon

Saint Mary's

I think in Instagram captions.