How To Shop Fall Fashion at the Thrift Store

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Goodwill, Plato’s Closet, Savers, Salvation Army. If you’re on a budget, you’ve seen the good, the bad, and ugly at these stores. However, it’s always a good idea to spend less money on fleeting trends than shell out big bucks at Nordstrom for a brocade blouse that you’ll only wear eight times. Have you seen how expensive a blanket scarf is at a high-end department store?

Here’s some helpful tips on how to find the right clothes for you at the thrift store, and even find new staples for your wardrobe!

TREND: Clueless-style skirt suits

How to wear:

• Find: a blazer that ends below the hip and cinches at the waist, or ends bluntly at the waist to give you shape; a mini-skirt in the same color as the blazer; and a blouse in either a neutral color or a color matching the skirt and blazer

• Tip: avoid looking like an airline stewardess by wearing patterned blazers and skirts, or wearing a denim button-down or graphic tee underneath for a casual vibe

TREND: Tailored racecar-esque athleisure

How to wear:

• Find: an oversized vintage sweatshirt or a fitted patterned sweater with bold colors and/or thick stripes, tailored skinny slacks, and a chunky leather jacket

• Tip: You can always go bigger when buying sweatshirts or sweaters, and it’s always better to make sure that the leather on the jacket is worn and at least one size bigger than what you normally wear so you have room to layer underneath it

TREND: Black-and-White Gothic Fairy

How to wear:

• Find: White lace, black lace. If you see it, it fits you the way you want (remember, you can go for bigger sizes if you want more flowy blouses), and it smells clean, buy it. You can wear a lace skirt with the Clueless blazer, a lacy shirt with the tailored slacks, or layer the chunky leather jacket over a romantic lace dress to contrast the feminine with the masculine and have a unique look.

• Tip: to continue with the fairy vibe, buy ornate jewelry in bigger sizes than usual. You can wear long, faux-crystal earrings with jeans and a tee and still look dressed up. You can wear your college sweatshirt with yoga pants and a massive pearl necklace and look put together. Jewelry sections at thrift stores are not to be glossed over.  

TREND: The Street Style Free-For-All

How to wear:

• Find: Honestly, anything that makes you feel badass. It could be a massive black sweatshirt, thigh-high leather boots, patched denim, lace-up blouses, a bomber jacket, a bandana tied over your head, or even a fishnet shirt. If you like it, buy it.

• Tip: As long as it makes you feel confident and powerful, you can pull off anything you want. Just be sure that you will actually wear the item of clothing so you aren’t spending money on an item of clothing that will only collect dust in your closet.

TREND: Grandma’s Curtains  

How to wear:

• Find: a flowy maxi dress in a large or small floral print, a velvet slip or blouse, or a tailored jacket in a brocade pattern with metallic thread

• Tip: When wearing prints, pick one color from the item of clothing and match your accessories to it as a way to highlight this amazing unique pattern that you found for less than $20. Is there silver beading? Wear silver earrings. Red thread? Wear red shoes.

While there are plenty of fall trends that come around every year (can we say hello to the plaid scarves and earth toned turtlenecks?), these 2016 trends can still be found at many thrift stores, some for less than the cost of a Pumpkin Spice Latte. Plus, by not buying clothes from chain stores, you’ll avoid blending into the crowd and will stand out even more as the unique collegiate that you know you are!

Happy Hunting!

This user is no longer active.
Claire Condon

Saint Mary's

I think in Instagram captions.