How to Plan the Perfect Spring Break Trip to Europe on a Budget!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

It is that time of year again. As the air starts to get colder and the leaves begin to change the thought of warm weather enters our mind again. Spring break is just around the corner (well sort of.) Planning your trip early can save you a lot of money and minimize a great deal of stress. Here is my game plan when it comes to planning the perfect spring break trip.

Sky Scanner 

My first step when planning a trip is heading straight to Sky Scanner and looking at the cheapest flight deals over that time period. Sky Scanner will look at almost every airline and show you options from all around the world. Normally when I find a cheap flight I’ll head over to Google flights and search there as well to see if Sky Scanner left out any major deals. (Always make sure to keep your search engine on private browsing! Otherwise your flight prices are guaranteed to rise.)

EasyJet & Ryanair

Cheap airlines are the perfect way to get around Europe. Most college students do not really care when it comes to comfort on a plane if it means saving a few hundred dollars. EasyJet and Ryanair both have flights for as low as 10 euros. Sometimes taking a flight from one side of the country to the other is actually cheaper than taking a train. These airlines will nickel and dime you for just about everything (bags, seats, etc.) but somehow it is still incredibly affordable.

AirBnb

While studying abroad I fell in love with AirBnb. The options are endless for apartments, both large and small. The price range is the best part about AirBnb. You can score some awesome deals just by booking your stay early. Always read the reviews and make sure to look at all of the pictures in depth. Like my dad always says, “If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.” Be realistic when looking at places and make sure to do your research on the neighborhood or area the AirBnb is located in.

Backpack

Although I haven’t actually tried using one backpack for a whole trip I’m pretty excited to try it out over spring break. During my semester in Ireland I used a small backpack on weekend trips in Europe, which saved me quite a bit of money and time. No more waiting at the baggage claim! REI and Backcountry both have some incredible deals on backpacks. They have a large variety of sizes and colors to match your needs and style. I ended up ordering a 30L backpack from REI that meets the carry on requirement with the small European airlines. Backpacking definitely has pros and cons but as a college student we are used to wearing leggings a few days in a row and depending on dry shampoo.

Pinterest

Planning, Planning, Planning. Pinterest has been my go to for my past seven trips. Making boards and pinning fun restaurants to try, sight seeing options, and overall travel tips help to start organizing your itinerary. Some of my favorite cafes and ice cream shops have come from Pinterest recommendations! It is really helpful to make a board for each category of your trip to keep things organized and then you can easily access information when you need it.

Those are a few tips to get you started when planning your spring break trip to Europe. Get ready, set, plan!

here to express never to impress.
Allie Royce

Saint Mary's '18

Hope you find my work relatable and humorous.