Holy Half: From the Shoes of Someone on the Sidelines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Most people can agree that running, at least for a few miles, is an “enjoyable” exercise. But for those that dragged themselves out of bed and got to Stepan Center by 8 am on Saturday, it was more than a few miles of leisurely jogging. Over 1000 people entered the race, and with people with all different skill levels, it was sure to be an eventful 13.1 miles.

First off, kudos to anyone who ran this weekend; especially those that had previously never ran a half marathon. Waking up early on a Saturday seems hard enough but that minor struggle pales in comparison to the weeks of waking up early, running in the cold, and fighting the urges to quit. Everyone, including those who walked, accomplished something amazing this weekend. Whether it was something to cross off a bucket list or just another Saturday in the life of an avid runner, every person who crossed the finish line yesterday is someone to be admired. These runners not only showed determination throughout the race and in the weeks before while training and battling the impulses to give up, but also exemplified the closeness and beauty of the ND/SMC/HCC community. This race was not only about tackling 13.1 miles of pavement as an individual runner, but it was about being able to tackle those 13.1 miles together, each runner pushing the next to finish what they started.

It was evident that everyone running looked out for each other. Participants would run alongside each other and encourage the other to finish strong. People on the sidelines cheered for everyone- whether they finished in an hour and forty-five minutes or three hours, someone was there to applaud their efforts. Those who finished the race were going back to the course and encouraging runners without taking time to recover and rest themselves. Everyone was congratulated, and afterwards while walking across campus people stopped and praised the runners for their dedication and athletic ability.

I admire every single person that had the courage to complete the Holy Half on Saturday and it was an amazing event to watch. Hopefully next year a few more of us can hit the pavement running and be ready to conquer the Holy Half like a champion.

Annie McGarrigle  SMC ’16 and Sam Fairchild SMC ‘16 after the race