Hey, you! You like TV? Read this!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Have you ever been channel surfing, figuring out what to watch?  Normally you go to your favorite TV stations, to watch reruns of a classic or your guilty pleasure reality show.  What if I told you there is a place you can find it all?  NDtv is on channel 53 and is has it all!  You don’t have to believe me, look for yourself.  Either turn on your TV and go to channel 53 or you can keep reading and learn about this year’s shows and the production staff.

Meet these local, awesome celebrity students!

NDtv Ch.53

Follow!

Twitter: NDtv53

Facebook: notredametv

The Late Show

LateNightND Wednesday at 8:30 pm

“It’s a late night show – so somewhere between Fallon, Kimmel, and Conan.”

Why you should watch!

“I think it’s a great way to see what your peers are passionate about and interested in. We all have a blast making the shows and we hope that you guys have fun watching them!”

Fun fact about the show:  “We don’t actually shoot in a skyscraper with an amazing view. The background in the studio is just a big screen (don’t tell anyone).”

Get to know the producer!!

Name:  Lauren Josephson

Year:  Senior

Major:  Marketing and FTT

Where you are from:  Whitehall, MI

What is a fun fact about you?

In high school I watched a YouTube video to learn how to breakdance and I sprained my thumb.

What is your favorite TV show? The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Why did you choose ND? The feels.

What do you do in NDTV? What does your title mean?

I’m the producer of LateNightND, which means that I organize and plan the show to make sure it gets made to the best of our abilities.

Why do you choose to be a part of NDTV?

I love television and helping make TV shows seemed really cool.

Why are you passionate about NDTV?

Being able to create content with other people who are passionate about television and have it broadcast on TV is an awesome experience, especially since NDTV is completely student run!

Laughs on Laughs

The Humor Show Wednesdays at 9/8 central on Disney Channel

“People trying to be funny.”

Why you should watch!

Because it is one of the few comedy productions on campus that is not entirely based upon making fun of St. Mary’s students.

Fun fact about the show: It was started in 1937 as a medium for anti-Nazi war propaganda

Get to know the producer!!

Your name: Nick Lindstrom

Year: Sophomore

Major: Psychology

Where you are from: Philadelphia, PA (Malvern)

What are some of your interests? Guitar, improv, long walks on the beach, and candlelit dinners.

What is a fun fact about you? I know a lot of fun facts.

What is your favorite TV show? All time: How I Met Your Mother or Scrubs minus the last season Current: Suits

Why did you choose ND?

Because of the sense of community that only comes from being in the middle of nowhere.

What do you do in NDTV?

What does your title mean? I am a producer. I’m pretty sure that means that I am in charge of picking out fresh fruits and vegetables for the station.

Why do you choose to be a part of NDTV?

Because someone told me I should and that it would be a lot of fun.

Why are you passionate about NDTV?

That someone was right.

What is a fun fact about the show? Someone will be wearing black socks in every single episode.

NEWS! NEWS! NEWS!

Unnecessary Roughness Tuesday’s at 10 PM!!

“Unnecessary Roughness is a thirty-minute improvised talk show with two hosts. The hosts debate a set of about 9 topics per episode, all ranging from ND Sports to world news. I like the concept of bringing news to viewers while including a bit of personality and opinion.”

Why you should watch!

“We are very informative about what is going on around the world, and we try to discuss the more important topics. We also try to discuss all of the important events surrounding ND, which is effects the entire Notre Dame community. We also do not keep it exclusive to ND kids, and there are Saint Mary’s students on our production staff!”

Fun Fact about the show: “My favorite aspect of the show is getting together with the team every week. We discuss the topics, and have a great time doing so. It’s a cool way to learn everybody’s views on our issues while at the same time getting to know people on a personal level.”

Get to know the producer!!

Name:  Clayton Conroy

Year: Junior Class of 2016

Major: Finance

Where you are from: Santa Cruz, CA

What are some of your interests?

Besides producing for NDtv, I enjoy playing basketball, going on bike rides, hanging out with friends, music, and theater.

What is a fun fact about you?

I’ve lived in 3 countries; America being my third.

What is your favorite TV show?

I’d have to say Family Guy. It just makes me appreciate comedy because it is so clever; and I think Seth MacFarlane is a genius.

Why did you choose ND?

I was hesitant to come to ND at first, mostly because it was so far from home. However, it catered to my interests and offered good opportunities for me. I wanted to go to a good academic school with a big sports environment. I love it every day that I am here.

I produce Unnecessary Roughness, an improvised, opinionated talk show. Basically, I am in charge of recruiting, topics, setting up, and semester planning. I have also packaged promos and I work on a few other shows on NDtv.

Why do you choose to be a part of NDTV?

I love the environment here. The people are amazing and I am never bored when I work with them. NDtv is a very special place because it offers people a chance to get a wide range of film and production experience. For that reason, I see NDtv as an amazing opportunity to get me great experience in working behind the scenes, on set, and in front of the camera.

Why are you passionate about NDTV?

I love film production, and NDtv keeps me involved in the filmmaking community while also providing me with great experience. I also believe in our mission to bring quality television entertainment to the student body, as I think we have the capability to entertain.

All about them SPORTS!!

Irish Insights Live Tuesdays at 9

“As the only sports show on NDtv, Irish Insights Live provides debate and original commentary on Notre Dame sports and more. Each show features an interview segment with a Notre Dame student-athlete as well as a debate segment on relevant and burning topics in Notre Dame athletics.”

Why you should watch!

“Being right across the street from Notre Dame, St. Mary’s is part of the ND community and has a large interest and connectivity to Notre Dame’s sports teams. This show is an entertaining way to follow ND.”

Fun fact about the show: “Last year was the show’s inaugural year”

Get to know the producer!!

Name: Rich Hidy         

Year: Junior

Major: Marketing, Journalism minor

Where you are from: Cincinnati

What are some of your interests? Sports broadcasting, writing, exercising

What is a fun fact about you? I’ve broken 3 bones

What is your favorite TV show? Everybody Loves Raymond

Why did you choose ND? My Mom graduated from ND in ‘85

Producer and co-host of Irish Insights Live

Why do you choose to be a part of NDTV?

NDtv is a fun, relaxed atmosphere that gives students a tremendous opportunity to craft their broadcasting skills. In particular, Irish Insights Live is a show that discusses and debates sports from ND students’ perspectives, which is very enjoyable.

Why are you passionate about NDTV?

The camaraderie of the staff is one of the most fulfilling aspects of NDtv. Through weekly meetings and show planning, we’ve formed a group that is committed to providing quality broadcast content to campus. 

*all the answers are given by each show’s producers

Get to know the people behind the TV

Executive Producer/Station Manager

“Watch all of our shows! We’re upgrading a lot this year and hope to engage our audiences much more, so feel free to give us suggestions at any time. We want to make sure we are putting content on our station that our viewers care about and want to watch!”

Name: Caitlin Crommett

Year: 2015, Senior

Major: Management Entrepreneurship and FTT

Where you are from: Orange County, CA

What are some of your interests? Filmmaking, acting, startups, sports, yoga

What is a fun fact about you? I worked at ABC Studios on the Katie Couric show last summer in NYC!

What is your favorite TV show? Scandal, Psych

Why did you choose ND? Fell in love with it when I set foot on campus during the HYSP Finalists’ weekend!

What do you do in NDTV? What does your title mean? I am the executive producer/station manager at NDtv. I oversee all of the shows and make sure the producers have everything they need to run their shows. I also provide creative input behind new shows and other aspects surrounding the station.

Why do you choose to be a part of NDTV? I became interested in the entertainment/media world at a young age, and always wanted to work in television. NDtv was the perfect fit for someone like me, who wanted to explore all of the possibilities surrounding TV and learn how to run everything involved in creating a show.

Why are you passionate about NDTV? NDtv is an amazing outlet for anyone who is even slightly interested in television because it allows us to run our own shows and learn everything firsthand. I love that it puts all of the control in our own hands and is completely student run, as it gives us a chance to express ourselves and work together to create new content. I am passionate about the many opportunities it provides to anyone interested in television and media and the likeminded people we can connect with along the way.

Marketing Director

Name: Samantha Squeri

Year: Sophomore

Major(s): Marketing and Film, Television, and Theatre

Where you are from: New Providence, NJ (a suburb of New York City)

What are some of your interests?

I play clarinet in the Band of the Fighting Irish, I love musical theatre and I’m involved with Pasquerilla East Musical Company on campus, I am also involved in my dorm (Farley Hall!!) as the Café Far Far Chairperson on Farley Hall Council and as a cantor in the Farley Hall Chapel Choir.

What is a fun fact about you?

I am a twin!

What is your favorite TV show?

That is a really tough question because I have a lot of favorite TV shows, but I am going to have to say Scandal right now because I am so excited about the new season that just came out!

Why did you choose ND?

I chose Notre Dame because I felt like I belonged here. I love how the student body as a whole is such an intelligent, yet well-rounded group of people. Students all work hard in their classes and commit themselves to many different extracurriculars and service opportunities, but they also know how to just relax and have fun. I also love both the spirituality and the school spirit with which Notre Dame is just bursting at the seams. Love thee Notre Dame.

I am the Marketing Director for NDtv which means that I am in charge of spreading the word about our programming to every student on campus through many different channels of media, including social media posts, print ads, and many others.

Why do you choose to be a part of NDTV?

I choose to be a part of NDtv because I think it is such an interesting opportunity for students to run a television station entirely on their own and control the whole process. It is something that few people have the chance to experience and I am so glad to be a part of it.

Why are you passionate about NDTV?

NDtv is really awesome because it is run solely by students, for students. The producers, writers, talent, and editors are all students who collaborate to create this offering in the hopes of entertaining and educating their peers, while at the same time gaining valuable production experience for themselves.

Technical Director

Name: Brian Lach

Year: Junior

Major:  IT Management, Film

Where you are from: Grand Rapids, MI

What are some of your interests? Film, tennis, movies

What is your favorite TV show? My favorite TV show is Leverage.

Why did you choose ND? I wanted a chance to work on video projects that the whole campus would be able to see.

What do you do in NDTV? What does your title mean? As technical director, I’m in charge of managing and upgrading equipment as well as running and producing the shows in our lineup.

Why are you passionate about NDTV? I’m passionate about NDtv because I want to make it as good as possible. With a student-run network like NDtv, you really get out what you put in. After the success of Irish Bachelorette last year, I’m really excited to see how much more we can accomplish.

Audience Engagement and Reality TV

Why you should watch!!

“SMC students are part of the ND community as well, plus we have many different SMC students working on the shows.  What better way to support your fellow belles?!”

Your name:  MK Andersen

Year:  Sophomore      

Major:  American Studies and Political Science

Where you are from:  Glenview, Illinois (Chicagoland Area)

What are some of your interests?  Shopping on eBay for cheap Vintage Notre Dame sweatshirts

What is a fun fact about you?  I broke a tooth biting an Oreo.

What is your favorite TV show?  The West Wing

Why did you choose ND?  I love the community factor that you can’t find at any other school

What do you do in NDTV? What does your title mean?  I am staffer for audience engagement as well as help produce any reality tv programming.

Why do you choose to be a part of NDTV?  There was an amazing TV program at my high school and I felt like I had missed out on an awesome and unique opportunity so I wanted to join while in college.

Why are you passionate about NDTV?  I’m passionate because the people that are here really care and are entertaining to be around.

Picture provided by Caitlin Crommett

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram!

Sinead Hickey

Saint Mary's

Incoming Junior at SMC, writing and hoping people like it!
Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!