This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Yep… It’s “that” day. Trust me this is not an article about how to distract yourself on quite possibly the most doomed day of the year- because realistically, no amount of Ben and Jerry’s or heart-shaped pizza is going to make the day any easier. You’re either sulking because you are alone or freaking out about what you should buy your significant other.

So let’s all take a minute and appreciate what important (and very random) stuff obviously lonely people accomplished on February 14th in years past:

1076 – Pope Gregory VII excommunicates Henry IV, Holy Roman Emperor.

1778 – The United States Flag is formally recognized by a foreign naval vessel for the first time

1849 – In New York City, James Knox Polk becomes the first serving President of the United States to have his photograph taken

1855 – Texas is linked by telegraph to the rest of the United States, with the completion of a connection between New Orleans and Marshall, Texas.

1859 – Oregon is admitted as the 33rd U.S. state.

1876 – Alexander Graham Bell applies for a patent for the telephone, as does Elisha Gray

1899 – Voting machines are approved by the U.S. Congress for use in federal elections.

1912 – Arizona is admitted as the 48th U.S. state.

1912 – In Groton, Connecticut, the first diesel-powered submarine is commissioned.

1920 – The League of Women Voters is founded in Chicago.

1970 – The iconic live album Live at Leeds by The Who is recorded

2000 – The spacecraft NEAR Shoemaker enters orbit around asteroid 433 Eros, the first spacecraft to orbit an asteroid

2005 – YouTube is launched by a group of college students, eventually becoming the largest video sharing website in the world and a main source for viral videos.

Hey, maybe all the single people in the world could get together on February 14th and create the next greatest-thing since YouTube. Good things have come from single people on “doomsday”. 

Photo 1

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram!

Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!