This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

The views expressed in this article are the views of the author and not of Her Campus Saint Mary’s.

It’s time to put on your big girl panties and grow up. Yep, I said it. Stop whining about how this election came out if you feel betrayed. Yes, feeling disappointed, sad, upset and filled with pain is normal when we are heartbroken, but you are not going anywhere with just complaining. If you want to make the world better, to make yourself feel better, it starts with yourself. The first step in making yourself and others less miserable is changing your attitude.

Maybe it’s because I grew up used to being disappointed about major changes in my life, but I am not as sad with this election as everyone else on campus. The point is we need to stop demonizing people who disagree with us. Stop pointing fingers at people you think are helping ruin the world. Blame takes us nowhere; it just echoes our hurt feelings and makes people more frustrated with each other. Feelings are temporary; we say things we usually don’t mean to others when we are upset. Before we aggressively post, text, or talk to each other, remember this question: what matters more being right or having this relationship?

Now I’m not happy either with this result. I wouldn’t have been happy if the results came out the other way. The philosophy major in me made sure to start coping by checking out The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays. But like a wannabe existentialist that’s read too much Camus, I know the best step in facing the Absurd is to rebel against it. The Absurd is the confrontation of your expectations and reality. Rebelling here does not mean rioting in the streets or ranting against people who voted against you on social media. Accept the fact we have a new president elect you don’t like. But also accept the fact that while you can be sad, it should not let you down, there’s more things in this world than the presidential election.

We are adults; go make a change with yourself to promote love and truth first. If you’re still upset, don’t post, rebel with your heart. Are we clear? Now go imagine Sisyphus happy.

Communication Studies and Philosophy, '17. When not studying, she's participating in shenanigans and making pop culture references. 
Claire Condon

Saint Mary's

I think in Instagram captions.