This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Considering the fact that I’m a Pinterest addict and that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, it’s safe to say my recipe board on Pinterest is bursting with activity this time of year. I could spend hours on hours adorable Thanksgiving foods. Of course, most of the recipes I pin are way too complicated/expensive/time-consuming for any college student to ever attempt making –ie this bacon-wrapped turkey-, but some of the Pinterest recipes I’ve found are actually extremely doable and affordable, even on a college budget. Here are some awesome DIY Thanksgiving treats to try this season.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Acorns

These typically use a mini Nutter Butter (the circular ones) or a peanut butter Ritz Bitz, but if you’re allergic to peanuts, you could also use a Nilla Wafer! Use peanut butter, icing or nutella to stick a Hershey kiss onto one side of the cookie (if you’re using a Nilla Wafer, go with the flat side), and stick a mini chocolate chip onto the other side, and voila, cute little acorn cookies!

Pilgrim Hat Cookies

For these cute little pilgrim hats, use white, black, yellow, brown, or off-white icing to stick a mini Reese’s cup upside down onto a dark colored cookie- it could be an Oreo, the back of a Fudge Stripe cookie, whatever your favorite is! Then, pipe a circle of icing around the Reese’s cup to act as the “sash” of the hat. For the hat buckle, you can either pipe a little square, stick on a little orange or yellow candy like a Chiclet, Mike and Ike, or M&M. Stick these in the fridge so the frosting sets, otherwise they’ll fall apart! Cute and easy.

Turkey Rice Krispie Treats

These are probably the most time consuming, but also the most adorable! Make rice krispie treats (literally just butter, marshmallow and Rice Krispies cereal) in the shape of circles. You can use a cookie cutter or just a cup to get perfect circles. Use frosting, peanut butter, nutella, or melted chocolate to attach about five pieces of candy corn (hello, leftover Halloween candy) for the feathers in a semicircle, a small, round piece of chocolate (like the cookie part of a mini Oreo) for the face, two candy eyes, and a sideways orange or yellow M&M for the beak. Or, you can make the beak and eyes with icing! A little more involved, but still super easy, and seriously, who wouldn’t love these cute little turkeys?

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Pinterest!

Interested in writing for or being apart of HCSMC?

E-mail hannahdrinkall@hercampus.com or thereseburke@hercampus.com for inquiries!

Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's