Campus Cutie: Elise deSomer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Name: Elise A. deSomer

Year: Junior

Major: Double major English literature and art with a concentration in photo media. Minors in English writing and film studies. I also hold an undergraduate certificate in Irish studies from the classes I took while studying abroad. (Wow!)

Relationship Status: Engaged to high school sweetheart (Yay!)

Dorm: Le Mans

Dream Job? Literature professor

Hobbies: I enjoy sewing, knitting, crocheting and painting. I’m in a sculptural knitting class offered by the art department, which is pretty cool.

What’s your favorite part about being a Saint Mary’s Belle? My favorite part of being a Saint Mary’s Belle is the close dynamic between professors and students. I love that professors know all their students by name and are really friendly and welcoming.

Did you study abroad? If so, what was your favorite memory?: I studied abroad in Maynooth, Ireland last spring. There are a lot of humorous and adventurous memories that come to mind, but my favorite memory is of one Saturday morning when I was taking an early morning stroll at dawn. I was walking on the bridge by the Maynooth train station when I read a plaque that said the bridge was built in the early 1700s. I realised that the bridge people casually stroll across everyday is older than the United States of America as we know it. It was so surreal.

What is one of your goals for this year? I’m wishing quite dearly to preserve my straight ‘A’s while still maintaining my sanity. 

Favorite place on campus? My favorite place on campus is Stapleton Lounge. It’s like studying in Downton Abbey or Hogwarts. Le Mans is so classy.

Authors/books you’d recommend? I think it’s sad that people don’t read poetry for fun nowadays. I recommend picking up an anthology of Seamus Heaney’s poetry. There are so many people in the SMC/ND community with Irish heritage who would benefit from reading poetry from their ancestral country of origin

How would you describe your style? My style is an opposing amalgomation of preppy bookworm librarian pretention and free spirited tree-hugging vegetarian hippie-ness.If a movie was made about your life, who would play you? Emma Watson, pretty please!

Piece of advice you’d give to future Belles? Try to make friends with a few juniors or seniors your freshman year and learn from their sage advice.

Photos provided by the author

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Pinterest!

Interested in writing for or being apart of HCSMC?

E-mail hannahdrinkall@hercampus.com or thereseburke@hercampus.com for inquiries!

Bridget Dedelow

Saint Mary's

Bridget is a Saint Mary's College senior majoring in English Writing. You can always find her equipped with her laptop, a camera, and a strawberry smoothie. She loves trying new things, and is learning to code and knit this fall! After graduation, she hopes to either write, manage social media, or have her own photography company. You can follow her on Twitter @dedelowb!
Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!