Campus Celebrity: Mary Byrne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Year: Junior

Major: Communications

Hometown: Hinsdale, IL

What activities are you involved in on campus?

I am the Marketing Manager for the Office of Civic & Social Engagement. Also, I am a proud resident of 3rd Annex, Le Mans Hall, under the phenomenal leadership of Therese Burke, my Rah. 

You’re involved with PuraVida, can you tell us more about that and what your position is?

PuraVida was started by two SoCal locals after traveling to Costa Rica for a 5 week graduation trip. They crossed paths with two natives peddling bracelets on the street corner and asked for 400 handmade bracelets to bring back with them to the US. Not long after they were sold out, Paul and Griffin realized these colorful string bracelets were more than just that; they were a movement. Now, more than 20,000 bracelets are sold per week and selling in 2,500+ surf shops, boutiques, college bookstores and major chain stores throughout the world . Most importantly, PuraVida provides full-time jobs for artisans in Costa Rica. As a representative, I promote the brand through word of mouth and social media to provide even more jobs for these hardworking individuals. 

Why did you want to get involved with PuraVida?

PuraVida is more than just a saying, but rather an attitude. It is important to live life to the fullest, celebrate good fortune and enjoy the simple things. The company is motivated to work towards a better world and I am honored to be a part of that. 

What is your dream job? 

In all honesty, I want to be the next Chelsea Handler. Except the part when she dates 50 cent. 

What’s your favorite thing about SMC? 

Going to a school whose mascot is a Belle. Not many people can say that. 

Now that you’re 21, what is your favorite South Bend hot spot?

CJ’s pub. I tend to spend more time on the dance floor than I do drinking, but it’s still the best. 

What is your go to karaoke song?? 

Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye 

What would you do if you won the lottery? 

Pay off my college loans, (being optimistic and assuming there is money leftover) buy a yacht, give it to my family, donate it? Realistically, I have no idea what I would do. 

Favorite TV show to binge watch 

Friday Night Lights, Always Sunny, Summer Heights High, Criminal Minds, this question is unfair.

If you’re interested in Pura Vida Bracelets, check out their website and use the promo code BYRNEM10 for a 10% discount!!

Pictures provided by author

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram!

Therese Burke

Saint Mary's