Belle-ieve It or Not, I Gave Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

I know you saw it.

The email we all got at midnight, explaining something we’ve seen on signs, posters, and bulletin boards for weeks now. Maybe you deleted it right away, but I know it’s still lurking somewhere in your gmail archives… the announcement of the donor challenge!

I’m a junior, and this is the first year I chose to give back. Yes, I’m mad at myself for not doing it sooner too, but it took me this long to realize how important Saint Mary’s was in my development as a student, a leader, and an empowered woman. When I first came to Saint Mary’s, I couldn’t figure out why I was here. I felt out of place, unable to make a connection, and was too scared of rejection to put myself out there. I suffered in silence, unwilling to bring up my self-labeled failures to anyone. It wasn’t until my sophomore year that things started to look up, all because of SMC. I accepted a job as Belles Connect Leader and met an incredible group of women that have become some of my closest friends. In this position I was able to reach out to first years who were struggling and help them through situations I had experienced in my first year. I fostered friendships that will last a lifetime and discovered that I am happiest when I am able to help a fellow belle through a tough time, as both a leader and a friend. Now, as a junior, I realize how impactful my experiences here have been. This has been the best year of my college experience, all because of the opportunities Saint Mary’s has given me, like my job as a resident assistant. Being an RA has led me to fall deeper in love with SMC and the women who attend it, because I’ve found a place where I can express myself creatively, help those in need, and be unapologetically myself.

So, I knew it was time. Five minutes and five dollars later it was done, and I was surprised at how easy it was. Like, seriously? That’s all it took to contribute to a brighter future for SMC? WHY DIDN’T I DO THIS EARLIER?? As college students, we spend so much time worrying about saving money that I think we forget that every donation counts. Whether it’s $1 or $1,000,000, every single cent goes back into making Saint Mary’s an even better place for all current students, and for the belles who will come after us. 

I give because I wouldn’t be the person I am today without Saint Mary’s. This school has given me so many opportunities to grow and develop as a student and a leader, and I want to do what I can to give other belles those same opportunities. I give for me, for you, for my friends, for my classmates, and for everyone who will call Saint Mary’s home.

Help us make Saint Mary’s even better — give what you can today!

Meredith Mackowicz

Saint Mary's '19

"as unpredictable as a dad on a field trip" resident assistant, brooklyn 99 fanatic, amateur ukulele-ist, & cat mom taking collegiette life one day at a time. Campus Correspondent at Saint Mary's College
Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.