5 Healthy Fall Drinks Every Belle Should Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Like many Smicks, fall is my absolute favorite season. I love the crisp weather, the beautiful leaves, the seasonal pumpkin treats. For me, a September day is never complete without a walk down The Avenue, a Snapchat of the Golden Dome, and a fun, autumn drink from the LaFun Starbucks.

This may sound like the perfect fall day, but the nutrition facts in a Pumpkin Spice Latte? Not so perfect. While a PSL or a Salted Carmel Mocha might taste like everything fall condensed into a cup, these are treats that should be enjoyed sparingly. One grande PSL is 380 calories and contains 50 grams of sugar. A Salted Carmel Mocha packs in 460 calories and 58 grams of sugar. How many grams of sugar does the World Health Organization say you should have in a day? 25.

Yikes.

Of course, it’s still possible to enjoy fall-themed drinks without compromising health! Here are some great drink ideas (some even from Starbucks!) that have all the fun, seasonal flavor, but none of the unnecessary calories.

1. Coffee with Pumpkin Syrup/Pumpkin Flavored Roast

Instead of getting a pumpkin spice latte, ask for a tall or grande black coffee with one or two pumps of pumpkin syrup. You’ll still get all the pumpkin flavor, but each pump is only 30 calories! Many coffee brands like McDonalds, Green Mountain, and Dunkin Donuts also make pumpkin flavored roasts in both ground and K-Cup form, so those are zero calories each!

2. Tea

Tea is a great zero calorie drink packed with antioxidants, and there are plenty of fall flavors to try! Teavana offers pumpkin, apple cider, s’mores, and countless other seasonal teas. If you prefer bags over loose tea, brands like Celestial and Bigelow sell similar flavors in bags. Add sugar or honey to make the flavor even stronger!

3. Apple cider K-Cups

Apple cider can be packed with sugar, but many K-Cup versions are actually not so bad. They’re also super convenient and perfect to drink at night when you don’t want caffeine. 

4. Light Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino

A light Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino (meaning no whipped cream and skim milk) is 1/3 the calories and sugar of a regular. Why wouldn’t you go for the light option? And even if you still want the whipped cream (let’s be honest, it’s delicious), you still save 30 calories just by keeping the milk nonfat.

5. Light Hot Chocolate

Hot chocolate may be more for the winter time, but seriously, chocolate goes with every season, and it is getting cold! Most hot chocolate brands offer a diet or no sugar added option, and they almost always have just as much flavor as the regular mix.

So ladies, next time you’re craving a fall treat but want to be health-conscious, give some of these a try! Of course, ALL treats can be enjoyed in moderation, and come on, that walk to LaFun does burn calories, so feel free to enjoy your PSLs! And be sure to get a classic, cliché fall picture of the Dome while you’re there.

Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3, Photo 4, Photo 5, Photo 6

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Pinterest!

Interested in writing for or being apart of HCSMC?

E-mail hannahdrinkall@hercampus.com or thereseburke@hercampus.com for inquiries! 

Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.
Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!