20 Odd Things We Love In Our Twenties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Your twenties are a time to to grow and mature into who you are and find out what you love and what you hate. Either way, we start to find joy in weird things that we never thought we would. See if any of these have become essentials for you since entering your twenties! 

1. Day Planners / Notebooks

I don’t know what it is but you always get a sense of importance and sophistication in yourself every time you check your planner to see when you are free for a lunch date.

2. Array of Scented Candles

Sometimes, Frebeeze just doesn’t cut it and you need a seasonal scent for whatever mood you are in.

3. The Perfect LBD

The notorious, perfect Little Black Dress. You have spent your teen years searching for the perfect LBD for every occasion.

4. Throw pillows

They can make any room feel cozy and decorative at the same time. More pillows to snuggle with during your next Netflix binge!

5.  Picture frames

Perfect and cheap way to add décor to any room, apartment, or dorm. Frame and display everything to show off your personality in a subtle and elegant way.

6. Coffee mugs and tea cups that reflect your personality

Nothing beats walking around campus or the office with your own perfet mug.

7. Outerwear for all seasons

You’re not a freshman in college anymore, so you’ve learned that staying warm with a jacket and dressing for the weather is way more fashionable then walking around in a sleeveless top in the winter scared that a jacket will ruin your outfit.

8. Wearing chino shorts instead of jean shorts

Give away your Abercrombie short shorts, your preteen wardrobe is gone for a reason.

9. Going to bars with lots of space instead of sweating at crowded clubs

Underagers everywhere, extremely loud music, huge space but filled from corner to corner… I would trade that for a bar that I could find a place to sit down and enjoy my drink in peace any day.

10. Personalized anything

We are in a time of monogrammed everything… don’t really know what the big deal on monogrammed anything is but hey, it is super cute!

11. Going to bed at a reasonable time

What I would do to be able to fall asleep before 10pm…

12. Copious amounts of boots to go with your daily leggings

We love fall and winter because it becomes acceptable to base your outfit on leggings and an excuse to buy more boots

13. Printed pictures to keep the youth of your college years alive

Someday your children will look at those pictures of you in your twenties and be like, “mom that’s you?”

14. Watches

Oh what time is it? Just let me dramatically throw my wrist up to eye level as my watch shines in the sunlight and makes me look professional and presentable.

15. Healthy eating

Your metabolism isn’t what it used to be, binge eating fries on the weekends isn’t going to get you anywhere once you realize how hard it is to work it all off.

16. Having a sense of confidence in being single

You don’t need a S.O. to make your life happy. Being confident and independent is a sign of strength, not weakness.

17. Having a healthy stable relationship

You’re over high school relationships that are based on games. These days relationships are based on more important things like surprising you with your favorite pizza…

18. Quality trumps quantity

Spending little money on cheap clothing won’t get you anywhere. It’s a better idea to have quality clothing that will last for a long time.

19. Organizing essentials

I strangely love my pencil holder and my makeup organizer.

20. Discounts over full price

J. Crew Factory, Nordstroms Rack, TJ. Maxx….we love you and our wallets love you.

Molly Briody

Saint Mary's

Molly is a junior at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, Indiana. Molly is majoring in psychology and minoring in social work. Ireland is her second home and loves anything to do with being on a lake, Chicago, listening to country music, and above all hanging out with her Belles! 
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's