10 Thoughts All Saint Mary’s Comm Majors Have

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

1. “Oh you’re a Communications major?”

NOPE. NO. NO. NO. They did not just add an “s” on to that. And then you slyly/politely correct them by saying “yeah…I’m a Communication Studies major”.

2. Wait, not all senior comps are a year long research project?

Welcome to the Comm department where you begin your senior comp spring of your junior year and let it consume you until December. Happy researching!

3. How many “huh” moments will we have in Helen’s class today?

Whether you’re studying the Uses and Gratifications theory or Semiotics, you’re guaranteed to have a couple “huh” moments in class that day.

4. Seeing Diet Coke and immediately thinking of Colleen.

And then thinking about her obsession with horses, mount Everest, and her pets. And then all of this thought about Colleen has you remembering you have a PR project to complete.

5. Wait, not everyone has seen Miss. Representation?

You’re guaranteed to watch this in Intro to Comm and Mass Communication.

6. You don’t mediate before your classes?

Shout out to Marne for always starting out class with good vibes.

7. You don’t sit on yoga mats for your class either?

I guess we’re just used to expecting anything from Terri at this point. As a senior, I’m not too shocked by anything she does these days. Like she always says, “there’s a method to this madness!”

8. Seeing brands in a movie and knowing everything is strategically placed.

Thanks Helen, I’ll never watch movies the same. Ever.

9. I just have to write my Advertising paper, finish the Marketing project, practice my Persuasion speech, and complete my 3 journals for Public Comm and then I’ll be ready to hang out!

Write, write, write, and write some more.

10. You don’t call all of your professors by their first name?!

We all know our professors make this major the major we love so much. And we wouldn’t trade our nontraditional classes for anything else.

Allie Royce

Saint Mary's '18

Hope you find my work relatable and humorous.