Why Women are Sharing Their Own Nudes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAIC chapter.

Being naked is an emotional experience that is incredibly different for each person. On a personal level, we’re all naked. But in public (at least in most societies), it is expected not to be naked, and to show less skin in order to be “presentable.” Our society is so obsessed with exposed skin that there are adjectives that essentially judge how naked one chooses to be in public, from “prude,” to “slut” or an all-out “nudist.” 

The internet and social media are available for people to express their personal image and style and express themselves without exposing themselves to the harsh judgement of a face-to-face interaction. It’s common for social media users to show their bodies off online, like fitness bloggers who post progress photos, celebrities posting #belfies, or your average Instagram bikini pic. 

Recently, I’ve spotted a new trend in my social media circles where people (a large majority women) will post semi or entirely naked photos online for followers to see, or on 24-hour stories. I was curious about this trend, and mostly in awe and admiration of my online friends who had the courage to reveal their bodies to the world. I couldn’t imagine what would happen if I did the same. What if someone spotted the stretch marks on my sides? What if I was labeled scandalously for being “too revealing?” Would people I knew in real life stop talking to me? And finally, how did they have the courage to expose themselves to the interwebs?

After talking to a ridiculous amount of people on the thrilling subject of posting your own nudes online, I came to a few conclusions. 

First of all, the reason why posting my own nudes seemed terrifying was because the only nude or near-nude pictures we see daily are those of models who have perfectly toned bodies, a year-round tan and definitely no stretch marks in sight. In comparison to them, my body seemed like a mashup of flaws. Despite the fact that I’m generally self-confident and very body positive, the model-status bar that was set for nude photos was incomparable. I grew more admiration for those who posted nude photos that sometimes even highlighted their “flaws” and showed off things like rolls, cellulite and other natural parts of the body. By seeing these images on my feed, I grew more confident with myself. 

So, this is what a real, human woman body looks like. I wasn’t an alien for not looking like the cover models of Vogue. 

My mom, a college professor and author whose work revolves around gender and sexuality, had a lot to say about this trend as well. She had noticed co-workers and even former students uploading photos that promptly exhibited their bodies and curves, versus the classic headshot Facebook selfie. Her concerns were less about what the blatant portrayal of the body, and more about how this would impact their work and social life. As we do still live in a generally traditional society where things like nude photos can cost you a job, it’s (unfortunately) relevant to consider how an online persona can impact your career. 

She explained how a woman who had applied to be a professor at her university was ultimately rejected solely on the basis of posting revealing photos of herself on her Facebook profile. They were public pictures, seemingly harmless, of her posing on the beach in a thong bikini. My mom explained that her university’s argument against hiring the potential professor was, “how could the students take a teacher who posts photos like that seriously?” If and ultimately when students found her profile, they argued, she would likely face harassment from her students.

Despite stories like this, I can still conclude that it’s empowering to see raw photos of women posting their own bodies online. Personally, I see it as a way to show appreciation for my own body, and know that others can relate to an image of my own unedited female body with extra fat, love handles, and uneven skin. I see it as a way to take charge of our own physique and image, especially in an era where “revenge porn” is rampant. 

The threat of being “exposed” for being naked is ridiculous, and by posting the images themselves, these women are taking their nudes into their own hands.

Writer, student of Visual and Critical Studies, artist in various mediums. Representing (and missing) Ecuador from Chicago. Believes in feminism, social activism and taking care of our planet.