My Horror Movie Recommendations of the Month!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAIC chapter.

Basing on the fact that Target began to sell Halloween products back in August, I’ll represent all mighty basic bitches to say that it is never too early to inject a little spooky spirit.  Since now we are officially stepping into October, according to the mayor of the Halloween town we are in a major crisis now; there’s only less than a month until Halloween. It is time to do something, anything,Halloween related. Yes, we put on a costume and go to a party; yes, we can go carve an oversized pumpkin. But it is also a lot of work, fall is all about being comfy and cozy, so what is a cozier way to celebrate Halloween then to lay in your bed with your blanket and put on some cozy horror movies to celebrate the spooky season? 

Here are some of my absolute favorite horror movies to enjoy on a nice spooky night in! 

Nightmare on the Elm Street

The 1984 horror classic had started a decades-long horror franchise. While it had been remade in 2010 with better CGI and special effects makeup, still it seems that there is something about the original that can still scare me even with a wall of fake ketchup blood of young Jonny Depp(which cracks me up every time). I argue it is the art of classic which will not simply fade because of its strong base with plot design and creative settings.

Dead Silence

Directed by the famous horror genius, James Wan, who was known for being the director or producer of various Hollywood hits and horror classics. Dead Silence, however, is not Wan’s most popular work. Yet it can be count as one of the best horror movie I have ever watched. From the visual aesthetic of the movie itself to the unexpected plot twist in addition to the horrific settings that will make your spine chill, Wan has no doubt completed another horror masterpiece. And,  in my biased option, Dead Silence is one of his best. 

Insidious 1&2

Another horror series by James Wan presented an unconventional family story of paranormal phenomena. The aesthetic design of the hunted house is giving me back chills just by thinking about it while writing this article 1:30 AM. It is VERY important to know that among this four-film franchise Wan only directed the first two films and only participated in the film as the producer. I would personally argue that can become the very reason that the first two are considered as a successful horror film. 

Graveyard Encounter 

A B-list horror movie produced as a parody of the popular TV series Ghost Adventures. While the plot and setting can even be argued as cliché, I would have never thought that the very same night after watching the movie I would wake up form a nightmare. Disclaimer, I used to fall asleep during the famous Conjuring, horror never scared me, except this one.

Raw

The French film was presented in multiple film festivals during 2016-17 and received a considerable amount of positive review from critics. Different from the movies listed above, Raw is not at all paranormal, one might even argue if it fell in the form of a horror film. Trust me, it is horror that you will receive after watching the film. It is definitely worth experiencing both for artistic and a horror movie fan’s perspective 

ResidentEvil 1&2 

Also known as Biohazard, the original video game first released in the 90s had attracted millions of fans world-wide. In 2002 the famous game was made into real life by Paul W. S. Anderson staring by Milla Jovovichwho interestingly to mention was the one Anderson was pursuing at the time. The horror zombie movie received both commercial and critical success for its intensive plot development and high reduction of the original video game, the same applies to the second move of the franchise. However striating from the third movie it seems that Resident evil had lost its magic, hence I would not recommend watching.

SAIC 2021, Korean/Chinese, Painting student
Writer, student of Visual and Critical Studies, artist in various mediums. Representing (and missing) Ecuador from Chicago. Believes in feminism, social activism and taking care of our planet.