freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Ways to Practice Self Love this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAIC chapter.

You Are Your Most Important Valentine

While Valentine’s Day is a great holiday to show your significant other, your friends,

or your family how much you love them, there is one person that should always be

your Valentine: you! Loving yourself is important for so many reasons and should be a

priority on this hearty holiday! Here are some ideas on how to appreciate yourself.

1.) Treat Yourself

What better way to love yourself than to buy something that makes you

feel good about you? Whether it’s a $5 box of chocolate or that really expensive

mascara you’ve been wanting from Sephora, take this holiday to spoil yourself –

you deserve it!

2.) Write Love Poems About Yourself or Your Body

Self-love is a journey and doesn’t necessarily come easy. Whether you’re

just learning to love your body or are completely in love with it already, making a list or

poem about the parts of yourself you do like is an easy and inexpensive way to

show yourself that you care.

3.) Netflix and Chill by Yourself

I’m pretty sure we all do this on weekly basis, so this might not seem super

special but make it special! Wear a face mask and paint your nails while binge-watching a season or two of your favorite show. If you’re feeling social, grab some friends and make it a girl’s night to spread the love (of crime shows)!

4.) Take a Social Media Break

If Valentine’s Day isn’t your thing, logging off social media is a great way to

filter out the cheesy ads and Instagram pics and focus on yourself instead. If

you’re addicted to your phone like I am, downloading games can be a way to keep

yourself occupied when you get bored. Alternatively, carry around a book to read!

5.) Make a Playlist for Yourself

Fill a playlist with feel-good songs! Anything from 1950’s classic love songs

to Travis Scott, remember to make it all about you and pick your top 20 songs. Listen to it

while you’re getting ready, or on your commute to work/school to get a good start

on the day.

6.) Do Your Homework

While doing your assignments isn’t necessarily fun, doing them sooner

rather than later is a good way to prevent stress from building up and allows you

to have stress free free time later on. Break your work into segments and switch

in between them to keep yourself from getting bored!

Ellie is currently a Sophomore studying at the School of The Art Institute of Chicago. Her focus of study is Fiber Arts (Textile design) as well as Fashion. When she isn't making art, you can find her out getting coffee, reading a mystery novel, or in the gym. To find out what else she does on a daily basis, Follow her @somersellie on Instagram.
Writer, student of Visual and Critical Studies, artist in various mediums. Representing (and missing) Ecuador from Chicago. Believes in feminism, social activism and taking care of our planet.