Why ‘Unreal Unearth’ By Hozier Is A Masterpiece

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

‘Unreal Unearth’ is the most recent album from Irish musician Hozier. Most recognized for his work ‘Take Me To Church’, Hozier has shown his superior lyricism and musicianship time and time again. Having been four years since his last album ‘Wasteland, Baby!’, this work was highly anticipated and had great expectations, and Hozier absolutely delivered. 

In several interviews, Hozier speaks on the connection of ‘Unreal Unearth’ to the Inferno of Dante Alighieri’s Divine Comedy, wherein Dante is guided by the poet Virgil through the nine circles of Hell. Now, I only have so many words, so I’m going to write about my three favorite songs on the album, and how they exhibit Hozier’s mastery of song and the written word. 

My first favorite song on this record is ‘Francesca’, which represents the second circle of Hell, Lust. In a direct reference to the Divine Comedy, the song is sung by the character Francesca, who tells Dante and Virgil of her life wherein she fell in love with her husband’s brother, who proceeded to murder them both. She does not repent, despite the punishment in this circle being a torrential hurricane, rather saying that she would choose her love in any lifetime. Hozier conveys through his lyrics “My life was a storm since I was born/How could I fear any hurricane?” “I would do it again/ If I could hold you for a minute/ I’d go through it again”

My second favorite song on this album is ‘Unknown/ Nth’, which Hozier has stated is written about the experience of having one’s heart broken, thinking that you have learnt from it just to make the same mistakes again. This takes place in the ninth circle (Treachery), where Satan is trapped within an icy lake. Dante portrays Satan as Hell’s primary prisoner, as opposed to the King of Hell. Hozier narrates Satan calling out to God in a remorseful tone “You called me angel for the first time/My heart leapt from me/ You smile now, I can see its pieces still stuck in your teeth”, referencing how his three heads chew on those who Dante believes are the greatest traitors in History. These are Judas (who betrayed Jesus in the Bible), Brutus, and Cassius( who betrayed Julius Caesar). He continues to lament, “Do you know, I could break beneath the weight/ Of the goodness, love, I still carry for you”

Finally, my third favorite song on this album is ‘Butchered Tongue’. This represents the seventh circle, focusing on the part which punishes violence against neighbors. This song reflects on the terrible violence against Irish rebels in the Wexford Rebellion of 1798. British forces would cut off ears of Irishmen, as well as spreading pitch on the heads of the men and setting it on fire as a form of torture. He also touches on the oppression of native languages, and the effect it had on the speakers of Gaelic today. He tells this story through his magnificent lyricism “the ears of young men were chopped if the pitch didn’t kill them”, “With no translator left to sound/ a butchered tongue still singing here above the ground”.

Hozier’s storytelling combined with his musical talent is what makes this album so fantastic. His ability to take the feeling of heartbreak and personify it as a lamenting Satan yearning for God, tell the story of young lovers, and communicate the history of his country and the violence that occurred, all in one album, is what makes this a masterpiece. While it is the sound that brought me in, it is the story that caused me to fall in love with this album. Hozier has cemented himself as an icon in the alternative folk genre, and I cannot wait to see what else this man will produce later on. For now, I will be listening to ‘Unreal Unearth’ on repeat.

Camryn McCutcheon

Sacred Heart '27

I am a freshman at Sacred Heart University majoring in Media Arts with a concentration in Journalism. I'm from Maine, and love to write, play guitar, spend time with friends, and listen to music :)