This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Over the Past few weeks, Chelsey Curren has attended many fashion events in NYC, including Mercedes Benz Fashion Week and a weekend getaway to Teen Vogue Fashion University. As this week’s Campus Celebrity, she can’t wait to tell us all about her experiences!

CL: How did you get to attend Fashion Week NYC?

CC: Well, in the beginning of the year I decided to create an Instagram account solely for my personal style and love for fashion.  One day, I was contacted by two well-known fashion bloggers who were holding an outfit of the day contest with the prize being to attend fashion week.  A couple months later I was notified that I was the winner of the contest and invited to NYC for the day to experience Mercedes Benz Fashion Week for the first time! 

Follow Chelsey’s personal style Instagram: @thegypsysoulstyle

CL: How did you prepare yourself for Fashion Week NYC, knowing you would be in the company of high-end designers and celebrities?

CC: To be honest, I felt as if I was going in blind.  I don’t know if there is any way to really prepare other than choosing an outfit that makes you feel confident and like you belong. 

CL: Did you meet anyone specifically who has been influential in your fashion career?

CC: Although I came across many influential public figures, meeting Tommy Hilfiger was definitely the most inspirational.  Having a personal conversation with such a fashion icon was an absolute surreal experience. 

Chelsey with Tommy Hilfiger

CL: What experience could you take away from Fashion Week and use in your future career in fashion?

CC: It’s hard to pinpoint one aspect considering the whole thing was such a learning experience. Being around such talented and successful people is intense and overwhelming, so the ability to overcome the intimidation is critical in order to make yourself known in the industry.

Chelsey also got a photo withWanderlust Girls blogger, Emily Bache

CL: How did you hear about the opportunity to attend Teen Vogue Fashion University? What did the application process consist of?

CC: I heard about the opportunity on Teen Vogue’s Instagram account. In order to apply, I had to fill out the application on the Teen Vogue website. For the application, I had to provide the name of my fashion icon, a description of my personal style, explain my fashion experiences, and reveal my style influences. I also had to submit a few pictures of me and a few sketches!

CL: What inspired you to want to attend Teen Vogue University?

CC: I wanted to be able to learn from some of the best in the business at one of the fashion industry’s most prominent publications. The opportunity was something I could not pass up.

CL: What were your expectations before attending Teen Vogue University?

CC: Before attending, I was not sure what I was getting myself into.  I underestimated it a little more than I should have.  It turned out to be a huge event featuring some of the largest contributors to fashion and fashion students from all over the world.

CL: What type of classes did you participate in throughout the weekend?  Were there any special guests?

CC: Well, I’ll explain how it works. First, the students are assigned to one of three majors. I was in the Design and Styling segment of the event.  Each group of majors had speakers that work within that particular area of study.  The speakers I had the privilege to hear from included Zac Posen, Adam Selman, Erin Walsh, and a few others concluding with an Editors panel. 

Zac Posen shows off one of his dresses and explains the sewing process at Fashion U 

CL: Did you learn anything interesting throughout your courses at Teen Vogue University?

CC: There is so much I learned at Fashion U, but one of the greatest things I took from it is the notion that nobody knows what’s in store for them. Inspiration comes from everywhere.  All you really need to do is open your eyes and find it.

CL: How was your overall experience at Teen Vogue Fashion University, was it everything you expected it to be?

CC: Overall it was an incredible experience and I feel very lucky to be have had the opportunity.  It was much more than I expected and I would definitely do it all over again if given the chance. 

Check out more photos from Chelsey’s Teen Vogue Fashion University experience, below!

Chelsey alongside a few of her classmates at TVFU

With Jessica Minkoff, Teen Vogue’s Senior Marketing and Accessories Director

Stylist Erin Walsh spoke at TVFU

Casey Levesque

Sacred Heart

Hey! I'm Casey and I'm a senior at Sacred Heart University :)
Colleen O'Melia

Sacred Heart

Colleen O'Melia is a senior at Sacred Heart University. She is an English major with a concentration in Writing. Aside from being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Sacred Heart, she is President of Sacred Heart's Education Club, volunteers at a local schools, and mentors young students.