This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Throughout college, you’ll have some time to explore television shows either live or on streaming platforms (which is more likely). High school is when I started to have access to things like Netflix, but with student deals, you can get most of the streaming platforms cheaper or by buying bundles with other services. Here are the shows I’ve watched during my college years (spoiler free!) and whether or not they’re worth your time.

New Girl

This is probably my favorite show I’ve ever watched. I am constantly re-watching episodes as it is my comfort show. Nick, Jess, Schmidt, Winston, Cece, and Coach have an amazing friend dynamic that we all can only hope to find one day. The romance, antics, and hilarious interactions make this show a MUST WATCH for everyone.

M*A*S*H*

An old school choice that revolutionized television back when it aired. Centered around doctors during the Korean War, this sitcom was one of the most aired shows in the 70s. I love this show even though war isn’t my usual interest. The life of these characters and brilliant banter of Alan Alda makes this a great option for those who want a long series and steady plot.

How I Met Your Father

I loved How I Met Your Mother when I watched it in high school (minus the ending) and this sequel was much anticipated. I think it’s missed the mark in my opinion. I continued watching season 2 to see how the conflicts were resolved and it was unsatisfactory again. The jokes are forced and the only aspect saving it is the guest appearances from HIMYM characters.

The Mole

Only Season 1 has aired, and I was hooked right away. A reality show that is based on challenges and outsmarting the others is addicting. The whole season you spend figuring out who “The Mole” is, the one sabotaging in secret and taking money out of the pot, while the others try to figure out who it is while trying to add money to the pot. It’s something you can binge and enjoy while you watch.

Love Island

Now listen, I don’t love all reality shows, but some are fun to watch with your friends. I like this one compared to The Bachelor because the goal isn’t to get engaged. The goal is to find a match, and continue to date, with no pressure. Sitting in our dorm and living room of our off-campus house and laughing at the British drama is one of my fondest memories with my roommates.

Survivor

I guess this one is technically a reality show, but again it is competition based. Starting in 2001, Survivor is all about outplaying, outwitting, and outlasting your opponents. Seasons are about 16 episodes long that span the 39 days of competition. The twists and turns and alliances that form and fall apart keep you invested through the hour-long episodes. This is not for everyone but if competition fuels your interest, you can find it on Paramount+ and start from Season 1.

Will and Grace

A classic comedy featuring Eric McCormick, Debra Messing, Sean Hayes, and Megan Mullally which will make you burst out laughing. One of the first and most prominent gay characters in a sitcom, Will and his best friend and roommate Grace live in NYC and tackle their 30s/40s with their friends. New seasons were made about 20 years after the first series ended and I highly recommend both for a good laugh.

That 70s Show

That 70s Show (another show with a reboot that I highly do not recommend) is a great watch the first time and the 50th time. Set in Point Place, Wisconsin, the teenagers that hang out in Eric Forman’s basement provide endless entertainment, love triangles, and common struggles of growing kids. Kitty and Red Forman could make the show themselves as this is a timeless series.

Mia Sansanelli

Sacred Heart '23

Sports Communication and Media Major Journalism and Sport Management Minors Women's Soccer Player Sacred Heart University '23