Three Easy and Healthy Dorm-Friendly Recipes 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Being a college student with a limited meal plan is tough; especially since some of the meal or snack options at the dining halls are not the healthiest. Even though there are healthy alternatives, not all of those are the best options. More likely than not, students have easy access to kitchens that are either in their suite directly or in the dorm hallway. However, students don’t always utilize this as much because they feel that making their own food can take too much of their time, or are exhausted from the day they had. 

But, I personally believe that it is possible to create little snacks or meals during the week. Being that I am a science major myself, I sometimes find it hard to have any time for myself, let alone time to cook or bake. There are simple recipes that take an hour at most, with the result of some delicious snacks and meals that can last for a couple of days. 

Not everyone is the ‘Rachel Ray’ or ‘Gordon Ramsay’ of the friend group. But, by following these easy recipes, you can trick your friends into thinking you are! Here are some of my favorite easy and healthy recipes that are college kitchen friendly and are definitely worth the study break: 

1. Healthy Granola Bars 

A granola bar fanatic myself, I sometimes get sick of eating Cliff Bars or Quaker Oats Granola Bars on the daily. Whenever I am home, this recipe is the first thing I make, and it is only 40 minutes total! 30 minutes of baking, 10 minutes of prep time. 

Ingredients: 

-1 large egg 

-1/2 cup Greek Yogurt (I prefer vanilla for this recipe) 

-1/2 cup brown sugar 

-1½ cups quick oats 

-2 tbsp. milled flaxseed 

-1/4 cup dark chocolate 

Directions: 

-Whisk the egg and yogurt and add the brown sugar and mix again 

-Blend in the oats and flaxseed 

-Add the chocolate chips 

-Once all is put together, grab a 8” square pan, coat with cooking spray, and spread out the mixture 

-Bake at 350º for 30 minutes 

-Once done, let it cool down, then cut and eat! 

2. Greek Yogurt Granola Parfait 

This recipe is more of an easy snack to make for breakfast or even on-the-go. The ingredients can easily be purchased at a local grocery store and stored for later use. 

Ingredients: 

-Greek Vanilla Yogurt 

-Any type of loose granola 

-Strawberries 

-Blueberries 

-Agave 

-Almonds 

Directions: 

-Place a layer yogurt in a to go container or cup of choice 

-Add a handful of granola 

-Add some yogurt on top of the granola 

-Add the fruit 

-Add the yogurt 

-Add some almonds 

You can keep doing this process until it fits your hunger needs! 

3. Couscous Concoction 

This recipe is good for those nights where there is a little freer time than usual. It’s healthy and filling, so you will sleep with a healthy and happy stomach. These ingredients can also be purchased at the local supermarket. 

Ingredients: 

-Frozen or fresh broccoli 

-Fresh carrots 

-Onions 

-Olive Oil 

-Spinach 

-Couscous 

-Any vegetable of your choice! 

Directions: 

-To make the couscous, boil 1 cup of water and then add 1 cup of couscous until the couscous absorbs all of the water 

-To add the cooked vegetables, put a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and sauté the onions 

-Once done, add the frozen or fresh vegetables 

-After those are cooked together, add the couscous 

-Mix and enjoy 

With the leftovers, you can save them for another meal during the week. Happy snacking my friends!

Sacred Heart University 2020 Health Science, Global Health Major Nutrition, Exercise & Wellness
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.