The Struggles of Applying to Graduate School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

The fall semester of any senior’s life can be extremely stressful, whether your major requires you to go to graduate school or you just want to further your education. Either way, figuring out what to do with your life after graduation is a stressful time. 

The first step is picking what we would like to go to graduate school for and then choosing the graduate schools to apply too, while this may seem simple it is actually overwhelming.  Next, we have to go through each schools’ expectations, needed standardized tests, and supplement requirements. 

Ohhh the standardized tests, because we would want nothing more than to take a graduate level entrance exam while taking 6 classes our second to last semester of undergraduate right? Break out the books, prepare for the many mental breakdowns and coffee overload. 

Along with these requirements comes the time to beg our professors to say good things about us in our many needed letters of recommendation for each school. Trust me, ask ahead of time there’s nothing professors hate more than going to them the day before a deadline. 

Then comes the time to actually do the supplemental parts of the applications, which consists of many essays, personal statements, and some even require videos! There’s nothing harder than trying to write an essay about yourself while simultaneously not trying to sound full of yourself. Prepare for many nights of writing and re-writing. 

While there are many struggles of applying to graduate school, nothing is more satisfying then reaching your goals and continuing on with your education. Consider graduate applications handled and submitted, and for those of you applying to graduate school or looking to apply to graduate school; from one future graduate student to another I wish you luck! 

Paige Falco

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.