Life > Experiences

Song Time With Erin-P: “honest to goodness”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

I’ll admit it –– I’m an aspiring songwriter. 

It’s not something I tell people very often. In fact, for the past year since I’ve started writing music, I’ve been doing a great job of hiding it. It’s not that I find it embarrassing, I just don’t normally share the songs I write since they’re very personal and I’m afraid of what people may think of them –– of me. But now that I’m a month into college, I think it’s about time that I start putting myself out there as a songwriter (letting people know through Her Campus is one way to get the word out, I suppose. Is this article actually a shameless plug? Perhaps). 

My Routine

I’m a commuter, so I come onto campus early to secure a good parking spot (if you know, you know). If I have time, I’ll grab a venti Mango Dragon Fruit refresher with lemonade and berries at The Market and make my way over to the practice rooms with music blasting in my Airpods for a caffeinated songwriting session. The rooms are usually empty in the morning, which is good for me since I get so excited that I start to talk to myself when I’m practicing. Is it a bad habit that I should break in the near future? Maybe. Is it just the caffeine? Also maybe. I only write when I feel like it, though –– inspiration comes to me at the craziest times.

“honest to goodness”

The song I’m working on, “honest to goodness”, is a ballad to those who have lied to me by pretending to be my friends and those I’ve lied to by putting on fake smiles all the time. I sing about not being able to open up about my feelings because those who think they know me think that I don’t have problems to begin with. Throughout the song is this message of how I wish that the world would be more honest and genuine so maybe I could be, too. It’s arguably one of my most personal songs as of right now, which is part of the reason why I’m so anxious to share it with people. I feel more authentic when I write my own songs, because music has an inexplicable way of invoking one’s true emotions, and I want to be able to show people that part of me. 

Authenticity

So, why am I telling you this? I want to be able to share the content of my songs and practice being authentic outside of songwriting so that my potential audience knows what I’m about. I want to have the courage to share the things I’m passionate about and the things I’m struggling with. I shouldn’t have to put up a front all the time. This year, I just want to be known as Erin.

Stay tuned for another song update! I’ll hopefully be performing this soon!

Erin Paranal

Sacred Heart '25

Freshman at Sacred Heart University Computer Science Major with Music Minor Singer, pianist, songwriter :)