sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Not All College Relationships Suck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

The negative stereotypes surrounding college relationships are often what scare people away from commitment. Many college students fear the idea of having to find a balance between time spent with a significant other and studying for stressful classes, all while figuring out what you want to do for the rest of your life.  There’s also the stereotype that all guys (or girls) in college are only looking for hook-ups.  This isn’t true for everyone.  

As someone who has been in a relationship for a year now, I have experienced the ups and downs of dating in college. At the beginning of my relationship, I was scared that my freedom was going to be taken away. I saw a lot of potential in my new relationship, but I worried about not being able to do other things I enjoyed outside of our relationship. I never wanted to be that girl who lost herself in a new love and forgot about her friends and schoolwork.

I was proven wrong.

At first, my relationship seemed like something that would weigh me down. My boyfriend and I knew that it would be hard to find a happy medium between spending time together and managing our other obligations. At the beginning of a relationship, couples want to breathe the same air almost every second of the day. But eventually, it will start to feel like too much, and you will wonder: how is this going to work when I have other responsibilities?

Once you are past the “mushy stage,” obligations outside of a relationship are easier to accomplish, while finding time for your significant other.

One of the best things about being in a relationship is exploring the imperfections of another person, and finding the beauty in the way they are. When someone discovers the truth that lies beneath your surface, you will feel more beautiful than ever before.

In this past year, I have learned to make time for my friends and school work. My GPA is the highest it’s ever been. Every day I find myself smiling, simply because I am happier than ever before. My boyfriend has become by best friend. His family is close to my heart, I have learned the roads of his hometown, and I love experiencing life with him by my side. My relationship makes me feel motivated to live my life in the most positive light.

I am happy I have that extra little push from someone who believes in me more than I believe in myself at times.

Some people say the perks of having a boyfriend is the free food or someone to cuddle with and watch Netflix. That’s nice and all, but that’s not what it’s about to me. Don’t get me wrong, you do not need to have a boyfriend to be happy or confident in yourself, but having my boyfriend in my life has helped me become a stronger and more secure person.

I have pushed myself to try new things that I would never have considered before I met him. He is the one I can talk to about anything and cry to when life has become too much to handle. He understands how I’m feeling even when I am in the worst mood. He has the patience to be there for me when I didn’t even know I needed him.

The night my grandmother died was when I needed him most. As I got in his car, I couldn’t find the right words to tell him. He knew something was wrong and pulled me closer, hugging me tightly. I burst into tears, and he knew exactly what had happened. This moment showed me that on my toughest days, I didn’t even need to say a word to be completely understood.

It’s a treat to know that I have someone in my life that would drop whatever they were doing in order to be there for me. Every day it feels like we are closer than the day before. It’s fulfilling to learn and accept someone for their imperfections. I love his laugh, his passion for sports, and the way he knows how to make me smile like no one else does. I have never had a relationship quite like this before. I wish everyone can one day understand this unexplainable connection.

To all who are afraid to enter a relationship in college, know that it is something to be valued when you find yourself in the right one. To grow with a person and push each other to be better is something special.

Don’t go into a relationship with a negative attitude or a bitter heart, thinking you have something to lose. Think you have everything to gain.

Analisa Cruz

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.