New Club on Campus: To Write Love on Her Arms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

To Write Love on Her Arms (TWLOHA) is the newest club on campus here at Sacred Heart University! TWLOHA is a national non-profit movement that is dedicated to presenting hope to the hopeless. This organization is meant to support people who deal with depression, addiction, self-injury, and suicide. TWLOHA strives to give reassurance to those in need so that they are aware they are not fighting these problems alone. The awareness raised exists to encourage, inform and inspire, as well as find possible treatment and recovery for those in need.

There are two purposes of this club, the first of those being to help others. This club should give people a place to go for help, advice and comfort without fear of being judged. TWLOHA strives to build a community where classmates and friends can come together to openly voice feelings and thoughts regarding these topics. The second purpose of this club is to raise awareness about depression, addiction, self-injury, and suicide. There are two kinds of people: those who have the wrong idea about these concepts and those who know nothing about them. The hope for this club is that these people see the realistic truth about these things; ignorance is not bliss.

There’s not really another club or organization like this one. With nothing here on campus to support people who go through these tragedies, those people unfortunately go through their college experience almost unnoticed. After broadcasting my thoughts of this club to friends and classmates, I’ve received about twenty emails from people who are interested and ready to get involved and make a difference. It’s clear that these concepts affect many people, and it’s important for those people to get the help they need and deserve. These concepts relate to the lives of so many people, more than one might think. It is extremely important that people struggling with any of these issues have a place to be themselves and express their feelings, while getting support from their fellow peers without judgment. Pain is real, but so is hope, and it’s important to remind that to the people who have forgotten over the years.

I, Viki Caputo, am the president of this new club, and I am so excited to get started! The first meeting for “To Write Love on Her Arms” will take place on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 10:10pm (Location TBD) Be sure to keep your eye out for emails regarding TWLOHA! If you would like to know more information about the organization, feel free to send an email to caputov@mail.sacredheart.edu

Victoria Caputo

Sacred Heart

Victoria Caputo is a junior at Sacred Heart University. She is an English Major with a double minor in Creative Writing and Graphic Design studying as a graduate student in the Elementary Education program. She is a co-chair of Relay for Life, the founder and President of To Write Love on Her Arms, and the newly appointed Treasurer of SHU's Her Campus Chapter!
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.