Hair Talk, Or Should We Say Chalk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Who is a Laguna Beach fan and has been dying to try this ultra cool trend that style icon, Lauren Conrad, has been fabulously showing off? Yes that’s right ladies – Hair Chalk! Ever since this classy diva blogged images of her luscious locks dyed with bright colors, hair chalk has been an instant hit! It is simple. It is quick. Most importantly, it is super cheap! Hair chalk is a great activity for us collegiettes to do while still having enough money to shop and of course, go out. All you have to do is add some temporary color to the ends of your hair and you will be turning heads in no time! Also, do not feel the need to worry about over committing. Luckily, hair chalk only lasts for about one shampoo so you can choose when you want to look daring!

The best part about hair chalk is that it not only adds an exotic feel to your overall look, but it also gives your hair a sense of it’s own style. You can wear your hair completely down to show off every inch of the eye popping color or you can throw it up in a variety of ways to accentuate your new do. Try a fish braid or a beautiful ballerina bun! They both highlight your hairs new feature for the warm spring days.  

How do I create this masterpiece, you ask?

Girlfriends, it only takes five simple steps!

1) Purchase the Hair Chalk:

Sold in multiple locations shown belong including drugstores such as Walgreens and CVS.

Hair Chalk Rainbow Set, Urban Outfitters, $14.00

Kisspat Hair Chalk, Free People, $28.00

Splat Color Chalk sold in single colors, Ulta, $4.99

2) Prep Your Hair:  You must wet your hair in order for the chalk to take. If you have blonde hair, wetting is not necessary unless you want the color to be extra bold and long lasting.  

3) Apply the Chalk: Take strands of hair (size depending on preference) and twist each lock. Apply the chalk in downward motion starting at the point of strand you wish to add color.

4) Let Color Dry: Blow or air dry. From multiple experiences, air-drying is the best option in order to make sure the chalk does not blow off.

5) Set in the Color: Depending on style preference, use a flat iron or curling iron to set in your color. Do not forget the finishing touch of hairspray to seal it over!

Leah Arsenault

Sacred Heart

Leah Arsenault is a freshman at Sacred Heart University and she is majoring in marketing. She is concentrating in fashion merchandising. She aspires to pursue a career at a fashion magazine company. She is interning for Obaz, blogging fashion trends.
Taylor Lane is a senior in the Sacred Heart University school of education. She majors in English and is a section editor for the school newspaper, Spectrum. She is a captain on the Division I Softball team. Taylor aspires to be a special education teacher and spends her free time volunteering in programs for people with special needs.