The Glow Down on the Best Tanning Alternatives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Let’s face it—we all want that golden bronzed color during the warmer months.  Many of us are aware of the plethora of risks of indoor bed tanning.  So here’s the “glow” down for the best tanning alternatives, beginning with the most affordable!

1. Jergens Natural Glow: this daily gradual tanning moisturizer provides an even coverage without that in your face orange tint!  Now, the formula is even ODORLESS!  The line of bronzers has expanded into facial, oil-free, daily moisturizers as well.  Whether you prefer the lotion application or spray nozzle formula, using Jergens is the safest way to get a great natural looking glow before a big summer weekend! Jergen products are extremely affordable ranging from $6.00 to $9.00.

1. Victoria’s Secret Beach Sexy Instant Bronzing Tinted Body Spray: $15.00.  You will have a sun-kissed glow in minutes with this efficient spray technology, consisting of natural aloe and oils that dry within seconds! 

1. St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse and Application Mitt: $39.50.  Quite different from traditional lotions and sprays, this mousse formula delivers the ultra-even tan for body and face!  The creative application mitt prevents the dreaded “orange palm” look.  A single coat dries in less than 60 seconds and has a light fragrance to it.  Reapply a few times a week and supplement with extra moisturizing and exfoliation to keep the color flawless.

1. Air Brush: If you have $40 or more and want a beach replica tan, then yes, go for the mystic girl!  Although, make sure you do not shower at least 8 hours after.  Exfoliation, including shaving, is the spray tan’s enemy!  

For those days we share poolside with the girls, Aveeno Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion for the face gives you SPF 30 protection for $8.00.  This lotion is lightweight, oil-free, and won’t make you feel greasy!  You can even wear this under your makeup.

Francesca Mainella is from upstate New York and attends Sacred Heart University in Connecticut. She is studying fashion marketing and merchandising along with digital graphic design. Passionate about art, beauty, and fashion, Francesca aspires to be apart of the apparel industry in NYC. Her dream is to inspire others with her modern yet eclectic style. In her spare time, Francesca enjoys practicing yoga, designing, talking, and catching up with her BRAVO TV shows .
Taylor Lane is a senior in the Sacred Heart University school of education. She majors in English and is a section editor for the school newspaper, Spectrum. She is a captain on the Division I Softball team. Taylor aspires to be a special education teacher and spends her free time volunteering in programs for people with special needs.