Freshman Living at SHU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Coming to Sacred Heart University in the fall? Lucky you! Here at SHU, there are three housing options available for freshmen, each with its own special perks. At the end of this article, you will know which dorm building is the best fit for you! 

Seton and Merton Hall 

Elizabeth Ann Seton Hall is the “zig-zag” shaped building right on main campus. It houses nearly 400 freshmen every year in either two or three-occupant rooms.

Thomas Merton Hall is the “U” shaped building right across from Seton that houses over 300 freshmen.

Both buildings have single gender and co-ed floors; the co-ed floors are split down the middle, where boys are on one end and girls are on the other. Each half of the floor has one Resident Success Assistant (RSA) to help you with all of your problems. They will definitely become one of your friends by the end of the year!

Each floor has a kitchen, which is perfect for when you would rather spend the night baking cookies than going out. There are also vending machines for whenever you’re looking for a snack. There are two washers and two dryers on each floor, so you might not be able to do laundry as often as you may like. Make sure you find a time to do laundry when people are in class!

Enter your dorm room by swiping your SHU card! Just don’t forget your card when you leave your room, because you’ll be locked out. Nobody wants to pay $5 for the RSA to open the door for you (sorry, not sorry).

Both of these dorm buildings are great options, and you will make friends from both buildings since they are so close to each other! Plus, the main acedemic building is right across the street, so you can enjoy an extra ten minutes of sleep!  

Angelo Roncalli Hall

Angelo Roncalli Hall, is another great option for freshmen living! Roncalli Hall is the building across Park Avenue next to the learning center. You know, the one that resembles the Tower of Terror. But don’t worry, it’s far from scary!

Roncalli may be a bit further from main campus, but it has tons of perks for its 400 freshmen. For starters, you’ll get your workout in while walking to class!

Living is suite-style, and rooms are comprised of doubles and triples. Each of the ten floors has a common space with a TV and couch, and a shared kitchen. Study rooms are on each floor as well, in case you don’t want to hike down to the library when it’s cold outside. 

Each suite (the fancy name for the floor) is comprised of 25 students of the same gender, with two RSAs on each floor. And if you thought you already finished your workout walking to class, you’re mistaken! Angelo Roncalli Hall even has a cardio gym on the first floor, if you’re looking for an extra cardio kick. Roncalli is not just a dorm building, it also has offices and some classrooms on the lower floors. So if you have a class in your own building, you can sleep even later!

Angelo Roncalli Hall is another great option SHU students have when deciding on where to spend their first year. All the students in this building are friendly and open to sharing this exciting new experience with you!

Sacred Heart University offers three great options for freshmen housing. It is often very difficult for students to choose where to live! No matter where you live your first year, you are sure to make an endless amount of memories and have a great experience. That’s what Sacred Heart is all about!

We hope this article has made all the incoming freshmen excited to live at your home away from home. Go Pios!

Nina Lauria

Sacred Heart

Nina is a Biology major with a Chemistry minor on the Physician's Assistant track. She has always loved medicine just as much as fashion and blogging. Nina hopes to one day concentrate in Pediatric Oncology and help find a cure for cancer!
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.