Formal Frenzy: The Dos and Don’ts of Formal Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

‘Tis the season for sorority formals! Even if you aren’t in a sorority or frat, you’ve probably noticed a lot of annoying pictures of everyone at their formals blowing up your newsfeed (sorry about that). Formals are kind of a big deal in the Greek community; they are like the “proms” of college! So anyways, here are some helpful tips for all of you sorority girls out there embarking on another year’s formal or for any potential dates who just might be asked to attend. 

DO get excited–it’s the most wonderful time of the year again!!

DO put some thought into your outfit a good amount of time before the event. DON’T panic the night before because you have nothing to wear, and then go on a last minute shopping spree to buy a random dress. This is a wardrobe malfunction, unflattering photo, and/or mental breakdown just waiting to happen.

DON’T do a prom updo. Nothing says high school more than looking like a poodle. A rock-hard, hairsprayed creation is not formal-esque.

DO ask a girlfriend if you don’t have a date– or even go alone! Who says you have to bring a boy, or anyone for that matter? The night will be whatever you make it. Boy or not, you will have fun dancing with your sisters.

DO wear those super cute, super high heels you’ve wanted to wear forever but never got the chance. Don’t worry about the possibility of pain or being “too tall.” Your shoes will be off by the time you start dancing anyways!

DO bring a date that you know you can rely on. If you can’t trust that your date will be on their best behavior DON’T bring them because you DON’T want to get sent home because of their mistakes.

DON’T get sloppy on the bus. Just because you’re on a dimly lit bus does not mean no one can see you making out with your date! Seriously cringe-worthy.

DO eat food when you get there! DON’T be lame and assume your date will judge you for grabbing that extra dinner roll– a girl’s gotta eat! Besides, come tomorrow morning it’s back to Flick food, so savor the taste of real food as much as you can!

DO dance the night away. DON’T be one of those people who sits at the table the whole night looking miserable.

DO (if you get set up with someone) try to talk to your date a little before the event so you DON’T end up having awkward conversations or worse…no conversation at all. 

DO take lots and lots of cute pictures! Instagram is awaiting your posts.

DO keep it classy on the dance floor. You DON’T want to be known as that girl who was dry humping the wall. You will feel embarrassed the day after.

DO mingle with all your other sisters once you get there and feel free to say hi to everyone! But, DON’T ditch your date the whole night or make him/ her feel awk (and vice versa).

DO make your formal a night to remember! DON’T get banned from the hotel/ restaurant hosting the event.

DO wake up the next morning and applaud yourself for all that you’ve accomplished in one night. If you’ve managed to follow all of these dos and don’ts, then you’ve officially had a successful formal night. So be proud, you made it through this semester’s formal frenzy! 

Brittany Eger

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.