This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

As you get older and life seems to move faster, it can be hard to focus on the present and appreciate the beauty in every day. When life gets overwhelming and you feel yourself trying to get through each day instead of finding things to enjoy each day, it’s time to adjust your mindset. The best way to appreciate life more and take a more optimistic approach even in the most challenging of times, is to start doing things that make you happy. Purposefully pick out things to do, buy, and enjoy each day that make you feel good, because you deserve it. I used to feel like I couldn’t treat myself to things I loved because I hadn’t done enough or accomplished enough or taken care of others first. But now I have grown to realize that I deserve to be happy. Life is short; too short to not do the things that make you happy. For example….

• Get coffee or a sweet treat (or both!)

One of my favorite things to do is go get coffee. I have a Keurig at home, but the act of driving to the shop, smelling the flavors in the air, and picking out a drink you’ll enjoy is just something that makes me happy. I think it’s important to do things by yourself, but bringing a friend to share the joy with is also a good idea. And maybe you’ll get a bakery item, some ice cream, or a donut while you’re out. If it makes you happy, the few dollars a day is worth your happiness. And the new holiday flavors are out at Dunkin and Starbucks- so it’s the perfect time to go!

• Watch your comfort TV show or movie

If you’re like me, there are a few shows or movies that you know all the lines to. And you may feel torn between starting something new and putting on your favorite episodes. It’s called a comfort show for a reason. When you’re overworked and need a break or are just finding a way to spend your free time, don’t feel guilty about indulging in something as harmless as television. My personal faves are New Girl and pretty much any Disney movie. If it makes you happy, do it!

• Do a workout of your choice

There are so many people telling you how you should be working out. Get your cardio in, focus on lifting, lighter weight more reps, heavier weight for less time, etc. As long as you’re being active and getting your sweat on, do the workout that you want. I’ve always struggled with my workout being challenging enough or long enough, but at the end of the day, I know that no matter how I choose to workout I am still being productive and accomplishing something. Instead of struggling with how much longer you have to go or comparing yourself to others in the gym, appreciate your body and its ability to be strong. You are not here to please others, you are here to live a life that you love. Sometimes I need a break from the weight room all together and I just need to take a walk or go for a bike ride. Treat yourself with kindness, your body and sanity will thank you. 

• Have some alone Time

Between classes, work, practice, extracurriculars, etc., you spend most of your day interacting with others. I love to spend time with my friends and family and peers, but I also have recognized the importance of alone time. It may be hard to find time, but that’s why you have to actively seek out even just an hour or two to do things independently. Whether it’s homework, watching tv, scrolling through social media, listening to music, going for a drive, reading a book, or even just taking a nap, it is important to spend time by yourself. You need a chance to decompress and process your thoughts that have been piling up. You need to let your emotions be felt and your body rest. By seeking out these pockets of time for “me time,” you can avoid the buildup and evident breakdowns that would occur. Some of my personal favorite solo activities are laying in bed while I scroll through my memories and taking a walk around campus. 

Mia Sansanelli

Sacred Heart '23

Sports Communication and Media Major Journalism and Sport Management Minors Women's Soccer Player Sacred Heart University '23