clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Celebrity: Amanda Sialiano

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Hometown: Hawthorne, New York

Year: Senior ​

Major: Media Studies

Zodiac Sign: Aries

Birthday: April 8th, 1993

What organizations/clubs are you involved in on campus?

I am the Editor-in-Chief of the Spectrum Newspaper, a Student Ambassador, secretary of the Sports Media Club, and I am a producer for The Pulse, the TV News Magazine club at SHU.

Amanda and her fellow Student Ambassadors

Wow, impressive! Why did you decide to join these clubs/organizations and get involved on campus?

I decided to join these clubs because they all pertain to what I am interested in doing in the future. I really enjoy print journalism, so The Spectrum allows me to improve my writing along with developing leadership skills and time management! I have always had a passion for sports. Throughout my life I played volleyball, basketball and softball. The Sports Media Club allows me to learn more about the world of sports media and develop connections with people in the business. My goal is to work in TV News, and I am confident that these media clubs have allowed me to strengthen my skills that I will need for future jobs.

This is my third year being a Student Ambassador at SHU. It is such a great opportunity to meet prospective students and families and find out all of the inside scoop about what is going on at the university. I basically know everything and anything about SHU. It is an honor to be representing a place that means so much to me. 

Where are you most likely to be found on campus?

I would say The Spectrum office (right near the print lab in the HC wing). Even when I am not working on the newspaper, it is a great place for me to get away and get some work done, and I know that I can always find my friends in there when I just want to hangout. I keep telling myself that I need to keep a pillow and blanket there cause I spend so much time in there!

Amanda, right, hanging in the Spectrum office

What is something most people don’t know about you?

Most people don’t know that I took a year of French classes at SHU because I love the language. After traveling to Paris when I was 16, I always wanted to learn the language because I loved how it sounded. Although it was hard to learn at times, I was happy that I challenged myself and I’m hoping that I can visit Paris again soon! 

What do you like to do in your spare time (when you have it)? 

Spare time is really rare for me, but when I have it I just like to relax and watch a good movie or TV show. I’m really hooked on Orange is the New Black right now, and I can’t wait for American Horror Story and The Walking Dead to return! I also love retail therapy when I’m stressed out, so you can find me at the mall then! 

What is your Favorite SHU memory? 

Picking one memory that is my favorite is so hard! I have made so many great memories here with my friends and all of the clubs I am involved in, but I would have to say that my favorite was meeting Robin Roberts, Nicholas Sparks and Ernie Anastos. I look up to these celebrities for the strides they’ve made in their careers, and I only hope that one day I can be as successful as they are! ​

Amanda, above, with Robin Roberts from Good Morning America and below with Nicholas Sparks

Alana Miller

Sacred Heart

Alana Miller is a senior at Sacred Heart. She is a Media Studies major and plans to enter into the graduate program for Communications in Spring of 2015. She is involved in the university newspaper, choir and theater at SHU.
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.