This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

With the 2016 election rapidly approaching, emails from two groups have been popping up quite a bit in the Clutter inbox of Sacred Heart student’s email accounts: SHU Students for Trump and SHU Students for Bernie. I have had the pleasure of interviewing the presidents of each club, providing different kinds of questions for each president, who share opposite views. Although the questions for each president are somewhat similar, they are able to give us an insight into the differing opinions that each club stands values, what they hope to accomplish, and the overall student’s reaction.

When it came to SHU Students for Trump, I was able to get a quick interview in with president, Mariagabriela Mossa. The club has already held their first official meeting.

Q: What inspired the uprising of this club?

A: The club was created because we want to take our country back and I wanted to help.  I am tired of the politically correct atmosphere in our country, which is being brought down and divided by our current administration.  I am tired of this president apologizing for America and being instrumental in its decline.  I believe Trump can turn things around. 

Q: What goals are you hoping to achieve through this club?

A: The main goals are to bring awareness to students, recruit supporters and possibly assist in the campaign itself.

Q: What is your success so far in the club?

A: Although we just started the club, we have already held our first meeting on Super Tuesday, March 1 and were able to bring a guest speaker who happens to be a Fox News contributor, former Navy Seal, Carl Higbie. About 15 students showed up, and considering it was held during midterms exams and on late notice, we consider this a successful first meeting. However, we hope to increase our numbers significantly as we hold more meetings. 

Q: What are the overall student reactions/opinions?

A: Based on the response of the first meeting, the reaction was overall positive. Students that attended displayed much enthusiasm and were pleased to hear Carl speak and answer their questions. For Bernie or For Trump?

Secondly, I was able to get a meeting with the President of SHU Students for Bernie, Adyel Duran. Although the club hasn’t officially held their first meeting as this article is being written, I quickly interviewed the president about the future of the club and what he hopes to accomplish through this club.

A: Well, I’ve supported Bernie since he announced his presidency. Also, political activism on our campus is very low. But what ultimately led me to start the movement was when I saw there was a Trump movement on campus. When I saw the email I thought to myself, “it would be a shame if that were the only political support we have on campus.”

Q: What do you hope to success in the club?

A: I’m working in coordination with an official campaign staffer, as well as other movements at other campuses such as UCONN and Yale. Our short-term goals are to educate our student body about Bernie’s platform, and make sure all eligible voters are registered and are aware of the Connecticut primary voting date. A long-term goal that is already being discussed among us is organizing a march with other universities the weekend before primaries.

Q: What will your regular club meetings consist of?

A: Our meetings will be all about collaboration. I’ll be encouraging any interested members to think of ways and work together to educate the student body about the current race and Bernie’s platform.

Q: What do you hope for the overall student reactions or opinions to be?

A: I hope political activism on campus is increased, whether students support Bernie or not. I want students to go beyond just talking about the election.

No matter your political affiliation, it is definitely a great idea to be on the lookout for emails from these two awesome clubs! Both of these clubs hope to achieve great things in light of one of the most historical elections to date. Attend one of their meetings, become inspired, and discover the wonderful world of politics! 

Jane Kenney

Sacred Heart

Jane is an English major with a writing concentration. Being involved in the Sacred Heart University Choir Program, she also studies music/singing alongside her writing. As of right now, she plans to take her writing skills into the journalism field.
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.