Be Part of The History That Changes The Future

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Any time I have learned about social justice movements such as the 1950’s Civil Rights
Movement, I find myself wondering and hoping that my relatives were on the side of
reform. I’m hoping that they were on the frontlines, supporting the
desegregation of schools under the influence of the powerful Little Rock Nine.
Unfortunately, injustice is not a thing of the past. Now, it is more important than ever to
use our voices. For the young women reading this, it is important to know how intelligent
you are. According to LiveGirl, women outperform men academically, with 57%
of college degrees going to females. We are at a time in history where there
are so many odds working against us. According to LiveGirl, 46% of young girls still don’t feel that they are smart enough to obtain their dream career. How sad is that?

If hearing this lack of confidence in your best friends, sisters, and teammates isn’t
motivating enough to rally, think about the current events, like the new Texas Heartbeat
Act. According to The Guardian, the act jeopardizes women’s reproductive rights, preventing women from getting an abortion after six weeks of embryo cardiac activity is detected. This time frame occurs before most women even know they are pregnant. The law is
especially appalling because there are no exceptions, even in the event of rape or
incest.

The Women Who Stood Before Us
If any of these statistics make you feel belittled or powerless, remember that there is
power in numbers. The amazing women who have come before us; our mothers,
grandmothers, and great grandmothers, stood together and raised their voices to
change our lives for the better.
Here are two powerful female protests that proved the success of women’s rallies:

1. 1913 Women’s Suffrage Procession
    In March of 1913, the day before President Woodrow Wilson’s inauguration, thousands
    of women marched the inaugural parade route, demanding an amendment to the
    constitution. The parade of women was composed of dignified females including
    professors, nurses, and university students, who were all tired of being left out of the
    democratic process. Although the march didn’t lead to immediate voting rights, its media
    attention was so grand it even made front page news over the new President Wilson.
    The energy from the movement eventually pushed the 19th Amendment through
    congress in 1920.
  2. Women’s March in 2017
    A crowd full of protestors- male and female- peacefully rallied the day after President
    Trump was sworn into office. The iconic “pussyhats” which mocked Trump’s derogatory
    comments, were seen throughout this protest- the largest single-day protest in US
    History. The march advocated for women’s rights, racial equality, reproductive rights,
    and countless other social issues in America. The march later led to the creation of
    March On, a women’s-rights political activists group.

How Can You Make An Impact Too?
Despite progress in the fight for equality, there is still a long way before racial and
gender equality is achieved. If you want to be a part of the history that future
progressives look up to, be an active advocate and attend a rally.
I encourage all of you to attend the Day of The Girl Rally in Stamford, CT on October
9th. The event is hosted by Connecticut nonprofits including LiveGirl, the Mill River Park
Collective, and The United State of Women (USOW). Under the theme, “My Voice, Our
Equal Future,” we will demonstrate the change we want to see in this world. The event
features inspiring speakers including Mari Copeny, aka “Little Miss Flint”, and Cheyenne
Tyler Jacobs, a poetic activist and screenwriter. Bring all of the women in your life for an
uplifting day and enjoy live music, networking, and plenty of incredible female-owned
business vendors.
Let’s all use our confident, worthy, and intelligent voices and follow in the footsteps of
Margaret Thatcher who says, “If you want something said, ask a man; if you want
something done, ask a woman.” -Margaret Thatcher, UK Prime Minister (1979-1990)

Event Details
Mill River Park
Stamford, CT
Saturday, Oct 9 (10am-2pm)
Open to all/Free of Charge/Registration required at-
www.golivegirl.org/dayofthegirl

Anna Bernasconi

Sacred Heart '22

Hi! My name is Anna and I'm a current senior marketing and management student at Sacred Heart. I am passionate about health and fitness, all things fashion, and volunteering in my community.