Wellness

5 Ways to Stay Positive as Winter Approaches

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

5 Ways to Stay Positive as Winter Approaches:

If you’re anything like me who has always been more of a summer girl and has a hard time adjusting into the winter season, then these tips are for you! Growing up in New England my entire life I have seen winters with mountains of snow and I’ve seen winters with almost nothing. Either way, snow or not, the winter season unfortunately always seems to put a damper on my mental, physical, and overall well-being. With that being said, I’ve made a quick list of things that tend to get me out of my seasonal funk and may be able to help you too!

1. Winter Fashion: 

The thing about winter fashion is that it can be extremely versatile. You can dress modest or you could show a little skin, just as you could dress super comfortable or dress up all while staying warm! Layering is a huge aspect of winter fashion especially as the temperature continues to drop lower. Personally, layering anything always makes me feel more put together, and when I feel put together, my mood is automatically boosted. Even if you are not super into fashion, the change in season will always bring a change in trends and sometimes change can feel refreshing. I mean, who would want to wear the same things all year? Going shopping for new sweaters and other winter attire is always something that makes me a tad bit excited for winter, and if you love shopping as much as I do, then it could also shift your mood too!

1. Watch/listen to/read seasonal media:

When it comes to great Christmas movies, the list is endless. If you’re someone who is super into film, watching your favorite winter movies is always there to boost your mood. If you’re not sure of your favorite holiday movies or if you just haven’t seen enough, do not worry! All streaming services will be sure to have all of the iconic holiday movies on display for the entire month of December, and cable channels like ABC will of course have their 25 days of Christmas special where they play a holiday movie for the first 25 days of December! If you’re into books, reading books that are placed around the winter/holiday time are a great way to settle in. As well as music, who doesn’t love a good Christmas playlist? Whatever you’re into, taking advantage of all of the seasonal media is a great way to get into the Holiday spirit. 

1. Winter Activities: 

Winter activities are often overlooked because people will often be unmotivated due to the cold weather, but in reality, they are some of the biggest reasons why people love living in cold places. Now I know a lot of these are not accessible due to people living in warmer places, but there is always something out there for everyone! First, if you live somewhere where it snows a lot during the winter, sledding and skiing are always great options. If you don’t know how to ski (like myself), all it takes to go sledding is a sled and the closest hill to your house! There are typically light shows and skating rinks nearby (inside or outside), and I bet with a quick google search you’ll be able to find plenty right by you. Lots of these winter activities may seem a bit childish but I promise you, you are never too old to enjoy the snow!

1. Vitamin D

The lack of vitamin D is a huge reason for the decline in overall wellbeing for most people. As humans, a huge source of vitamin D for us comes from the UV rays of the sun, and if you live in a place like New England (or anywhere up north), you’re not getting much of that during the winter. Lots of studies explain that lack of vitamin D can often result in extreme fatigue and depressive moods for long periods of time. However, there are still ways you can absorb this vitamin without having sun around. Some foods/drinks that contain high amounts of vitamin D are salmon, orange juice, milk, eggs and many more. Of course, there are always vitamin supplements that are available over the counter for anyone who may benefit from them. Realizing you are lacking a very important vitamin that your body needs may actually solve a lot of your health issues you didn’t even realize you had. It is never a bad idea to look more into what your body needs to function at its best, especially during the colder months. 

1. Decorate

Decorating is arguably the best way to get into any holiday mood no matter the season, especially the winter time! You may not love snow, but how could you not love all of the pretty lights and decorations. It is always nice to make the inside of your home feel cozy with lots of decor, and putting up the Christmas tree is a whole event in itself. I truly believe your living environment has such a huge impact on your mood and therefore decorating your living space in a way that you love will make you feel extra comfortable and happy!

Kathleen Chiodo

Sacred Heart '24

Hi everyone! I'm Kathleen, a marketing major with minors in journalism & digital marketing. A few other organizations I am apart of here at SHU are Phi Sigma Sigma and the dance ensemble. I'm super excited to be apart of HerCampus this year and look forward to gaining some experience with writing!