5 Simple Healthy Food Substitutes that will Change Your Life in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Eating healthy is probably one of the hardest things to do while living away at school. There are so many temptations around and worst of all, no homemade meals from your parents. The types of food that are offered vary, and your grocery list becomes scattered and not as healthy. Luckily, there are a few healthy substitutes that can replace everyday foods. 

1. Egg Whites

Replacing eggs with egg whites is a huge benefit for your health. The egg yolk contains cholesterol, and by cutting that portion out, it eases the amount of cholesterol and fat intake. This is a simple change like this can help your body in the long run. Egg whites still taste just as amazing as normal eggs, but with less calories and cholesterol. This tip is also helpful when baking as you can use two egg whites as oppose to one egg.

2. Greek Yogurt

Greek yogurt can be a substitute for just about anything. It’s versatile in the sense that it can be used in baking or as a dip for vegetables. Non-fat Greek yogurt is my personal favorite, as I use it in baking to replace butter and to add protein. This can also be used to replace sour cream, add some spices to plain Greek yogurt and it makes for the perfect vegetable dip. The thick texture of the yogurt still gives the butter feeling, with half the amount of calories and double the protein. 

3. Avocado

Avocado toast is one of the most popular and trending food combinations. It is a great substitute for butter, cheese or cream cheese to put on healthier bread. They are high in fat but also high in protein, and when paired with whole wheat toast, it serves as lasting energy and protein. This is also a great filling snack before class, as you are getting a nice source of vitamins that you would not normally get with buttered toast.  

4. Unsweetened Soy or Almond Milk

Dairy is an enemy to every person, I’m convinced by this, and a great substitute is unsweetened soy milk or almond milk. By buying the unsweetened version, it eliminates the excess sugar. My personal favorite is unsweetened vanilla almond milk, I use this for my coffee and cereal. This is a great substitute for milk and still tastes great. 

5. Whole Wheat Flour 

When baking in the dorm, instead of using regular flour, a healthy substitute is whole wheat flour. This substitute allows more grains and fiber in the recipe rather than processed white flour. The flour tastes the same, with the added bonus of better substance.   

Sacred Heart University 2020 Health Science, Global Health Major Nutrition, Exercise & Wellness
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.