This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

As we know, when the end of the semester approaches, that means the week everybody dreads is right around the corner: finals week. Preparing for finals can be overwhelming, anxiety inducing, and breakdown worthy. Everybody wants to do their best, they want to end the semester off on a good note, but sometimes it is difficult to balance last minute homework assignments, studying for multiple finals, and life in general. In order to help ease everybody’s nerves (mine included), these are my four tips on how to better prepare yourself for finals.

Start studying as soon as possible:

When your professor gives you the study guide for their final, it is best to break it down into sections and focus on reviewing a little of it day by day until the day of your final. Breaking down the review can make you feel productive and a little less overwhelmed. It will also prevent you from cramming in weeks worth of material in just one day!

Book appointments with tutors/professors:

It is important to book meetings with tutors and professors so that you can be as prepared as possible. Remember, there are no dumb questions. Professors and tutors would rather answer every question you may possibly have so that you feel as prepared as possible, than have you not do well on your finals. They are there to help you, so if you are confused, let them help! 

Find a good place to study:

Studying in a spot where there is too much noise or too many distractions could have negative effects on your concentration. That is why it is important to find a quiet and comfortable spot on campus, or off campus, that can help you stay focused on your studies. This spot will allow you to study to the best of your ability and it will also help you retain all the information you are looking at.

Take care of yourself:

It is important to remember that even though the end of the semester can be overwhelming, your well-being is still the number one priority. If you need to take a break from staring at a computer screen or you just want to take a break because you are tired of studying, then that is okay. Sometimes it is better to walk away from something for a little while and then come back to it with fresh eyes. Maybe you can read a book, go grab a coffee, or watch an episode of your favorite show. Listen to your body and do not overwork yourself.

Vanessa Gambino

Sacred Heart '25

My name is Vanessa Gambino & I am currently a junior at Sacred Heart University. I am majoring in Health Science, but I do want to go back to school to get my nursing degree. In my free time I love to read, workout, & spend time with friends.